Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hiking and fishing solo in the Sierra

You'll find very little support for snake bite kits any more in the medical community. I've used them both on myself and others in the past and anecdotally think they did some good; however, without a control group who can say for sure. Everyone does agree to keep the limb still at heart level, do NOT chill with ice, and to remove any jewelry. A growing trend is to wrap the bitten limb in a crepe or Ace wrap (not so tight as to impair circulation) - It is the recommended first aid in Australia; however our snake venom works in a very different way. We'll see where this treatment ends up.

Good information, thanks Ralph.

I carry a SPOT transmitter with me when ever I go fishing, be it alone or with someone. All it takes is a twisted ankle in the backwoods and you are going to have a hard time out, or if something worst happens. I am always a buttons push away from simple help or come get me with a helicopter help.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Default Autralian Snake Bites...

Hey Ralph,

Are you implying the snake bites in Australia travel in the opposite direction, like the mythical water down the drain?

All kidding aside, I remember your article form CFF years ago and realize the way we treat/deal with snake bites has changed (A lot since someone in your family marketed the first "Snake Bite Kit" in the little rubber case) but the kit I carry also handles (and has done so successfully several times) bee and wasp stings. One time truly saving the trip. This "kit" is really nothing more than a "reverse hypodermic" that has several different sized ends and it sucks out any poison. Used quickly it can relieve a lot of pain.

Mostly I think I carry this as a way to keep snakes away! Or at least off my mind...I know the day I don't carry it I will get stung or bit.

You might bring some thin/strong rope and either a stuffsack or the ursak/ursack(kevlar stuffsack) to hang your food and other bear attractants like sunscreen, toothpaste...

Bears are more confident messing with the solo. But Ive never had a problem.

Maybe try the Emigrant Wilderness as well. Ive had a blast in there...

Quote Originally Posted by esummers View Post
    I would really like to start doing some overnight hiking and fly fishing in the Sierra. I'm a little aprehensive as I will be by myself. I was just wondering what type of safety measures some of you take that hike and fish alone? Is it something I should even be considering being solo? I feel like I'm missing out just driving to my fishing destinations like the Truckee, NF of the Yuba, etc. Those are great places, but I need to start exploring some more remote destinations. Also, to get my feet wet does anyone have any recommendations for an overnight, with good scenery, decent fishing and not much chance of getting lost :=)

Thanks for your help
    EPMT
    Flashlite
    backup headlamp
    extra batteries for above
    compass (don't depend on a GPS unit)
    flagging and pen
    matches
    very basic 1st aid kit - bring benedryl in case of insect sting.

PRECAUTIONS
    no weapons or booze
    no chumming in animals (bears, squirrels, rats, etc.) with a night-time cooking mess and chucking crap into a fire, eat cold packaged, or freeze-dry that requires only boiling water. Better yet, don't cook at all in your camp.
    sleep in a tent.

Sure you can go solo. There's not alot out there close on trail that is truely remote. You will see people daily most places. Hikers, fishermen, prospectors, mainly.

What fun is back packing without booze?

Quote Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
    EPMT
    Flashlite
    backup headlamp
    extra batteries for above
    compass (don't depend on a GPS unit)
    flagging and pen
    matches
    very basic 1st aid kit - bring benedryl in case of insect sting.

PRECAUTIONS
    no weapons or booze
    no chumming in animals (bears, squirrels, rats, etc.) with a night-time cooking mess and chucking crap into a fire, eat cold packaged, or freeze-dry that requires only boiling water. Better yet, don't cook at all in your camp.
    sleep in a tent.

Sure you can go solo. There's not alot out there close on trail that is truely remote. You will see people daily most places. Hikers, fishermen, prospectors, mainly.

Quote Originally Posted by colfaxtroutman View Post
    What fun is back packing without booze?
    Exactly. amoeba what is your reasoning for no booze?

Default All you need to know about snakes in the US

You'll find very little support for snake bite kits any more in the medical community.
    In regards to snake bites we need to break it down into the two types of snakes to worry about in North America.

First and foremost is the Pit Viper, or Rattlesnake as we have in CA. In other parts of the US you might encounter a Copperhead or Water Moccasin. Each type of snake has a variation in venom potency. Venom is evolved from a snake's saliva so it's purpose is to acquire food not deal death on huge levels. A lot of factors also make the potency vary such as the physical health and emotional stability of the patient, where the bite is in regards to vital organs, amount of venom injected, whether or not the victim is allergic etc. For the most part it takes a sever envenomation to produce any symptoms beyond swelling, numbness, blistering and dying tissue near the bite.

There is an exception which is the Mojave Rattlesnake and it's variations which produce a neurotoxic venom. It's around 40 times (can't remember exactly) more potent than your standard rattler. These are rare but do exist in CA and more commonly in AZ. I'll get back to neurotoxins in a sec.

You'll know it's a standard Rattler if the onset of symptoms is somewhat rapid as in within a few hours. Wash the wound and remove rings, watches, and anything tight fitting in case of severe swelling. Stay physically at rest and don't: cut or suck, take painkillers unless absolutely stable and not getting worse, ice or immerse, apply a tourniquet, or consume aforementioned booze! All of these can be harmful in conjunction with the bite. Evacuate if possible, move slowly and rest often. Snake bite suction kits just don't work effective enough as mechanical suction in a hospital and the risk of making the wound worse make them not worth using.

A growing trend is to wrap the bitten limb in a crepe or Ace wrap (not so tight as to impair circulation) - It is the recommended first aid in Australia; however our snake venom works in a very different way. We'll see where this treatment ends up.
    Ok back to critters with Neurotoxins. In the states, although you shouldn't find one in CA, we also have Coral snakes. These are the most venomous in the US and like the Mojave rattler inject a neurotoxic venom. Good news is small mouths and stubby fangs make it hard to get bit but if you do you're in for a world of hurt. They often chew to get their fangs in so first line of defense is get him off of you! It takes up to 12 hours for you to realize you want help as the toxin is slow moving so get to help asap before it possibly incapacitates you. Like Ralph mentioned the Aussies have developed a method called Pressure Immobilization. Take your ace bandage or crevat or whatever you are using and wrap around the bite site up the wound and back down then secure it. Wrap with the pressure you would use on a sprained ankle. This is important, you want to stop the venom but not totally kill circulation. This prevents the spread of some venoms and has had very good results in Australia. This method is preferred for coral snakes and I would try it for a Pit Viper in case it carries a neurotoxin which they can but take it off if swelling starts as the toxin has already spread.

And don't forget the rhyme that tells you which color of snake is a coral.

Red and black your a lucky jack
    Red and yellow your a dead fellow.

I think that is correct, if I am wrong please someone tell me so I do not pick up the wrong snake.