Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hiking and fishing solo in the Sierra

Default Hiking and fishing solo in the Sierra

I would really like to start doing some overnight hiking and fly fishing in the Sierra. I'm a little aprehensive as I will be by myself. I was just wondering what type of safety measures some of you take that hike and fish alone? Is it something I should even be considering being solo? I feel like I'm missing out just driving to my fishing destinations like the Truckee, NF of the Yuba, etc. Those are great places, but I need to start exploring some more remote destinations. Also, to get my feet wet does anyone have any recommendations for an overnight, with good scenery, decent fishing and not much chance of getting lost :=)

Thanks for your help

just remember the common sense stuff..make sure someone knows the general area you will be in and knows when you are supposed to be home, dry socks, a good lightweight sleeping bag, scale down your fishing gear to what you will use (fishing high sierra streams you can usually get by with a couple different flies in one fly box), food, fire and first aid are good to have.

Cool Solo Back Packing....

Actually, if you really want some sound advice, find out how to gear up, plan a trip, etc., read "The Complete Walker" by Colin Fletcher. You don't have to gear up as much as he has but there's sound advice and descriptions of what is necessary to enjoy a good multiple day trip in the wilderness. Even helps for day hikes.

Back when I was backpacking into some wilderness areas (many moons ago), I learned a lot about how to get there and get back alive. I've read this book a dozen times and still enjoy the read.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I'd pick some nicer weather to start off with... by that I mean, pic some days when it will be pretty temperate for your first expedition. If you get caught short by forgetting something, you may be uncomfortable, but you won't be in a dangerous situation.

I think the solo back packing trip is cool, but I'd start talking to some folks that are into hiking to get started.
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

I'd like to suggest a pretty easy hike with great bueaty. Look into the levitt meadows off hwy 108 just over the sonora pass. You can hike up the west walker river and up to some lakes as well. I think its a good place for a first overnight hike. As for being safe, Just bring alot of common sense. When people get in trouble its almost always due to a series of bad decisions not just one. Don't under estimate the sierra weather. i did this same hike last august and one day it was 40 degrees and hailing like mad. Good luck and be careful out there.

Default A Place to Roam

All of the above as for safety....Colin Fletcher is a great read, over and over....I want to reiterate about the weather, especially in the Sierras! It can hail in August and rain any time.

The one piece of safety equipment I take and often double and triple check I have it when hiking alone is my snake bite kit.

A few year back Ralph Cutter wrote a great article for California Flyfisher about beginning backpacking for fly fishers. Maybe he still has a copy around?

A place I think of for a good "get your feet wet" hike/fish would be Desolation Wilderness. Anything but desolate, it has well marked trails, lots of beautiful lakes and the hikes don't need to be "forced marches" up steep canyons. You could hike out of Echo Lake area or up to Wrights Lake from the highway.

Another wonderful place to hike out of is Tuolumne Meadows. Again lots of lakes here but also you can hike up the Lyell Fork.

These are not places where you will find days and days without seeing another soul but are good places to start.

Warning: Hiking solo can be addictive!

Suggested cherry popper: Start at Meeks Bay, Lake Tahoe and hike all of 4 miles to the lake chain (Genevieve, Crag, Hidden, etc). Many times we've hiked in for dinner and come out under headlamps after fishing till dark. I've even done it with our kids in a back pack - VERY easy trail, nearly impossible to lose. If you are into trail running you can be in and out before lunch (and that includes an hour of fishing). Find a nice lake and park it for a couple of nights. You'll quickly learn what you use, what you don't use and what you wished you'd brought. Take notes on how much food and gear you used. If something goes terribly awry (run out of gin perhaps) you can jog back to the trailhead in about an hour. Bring a topo map - you won't need it but this is a great spot to play with it and learn to align the map to landmarks and get an idea what contour intervals and brush mean in real life. Find a lake on the map and then hike to it. By the end of the trip you'll be ready to do the JMT.

That's great info Ralph........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I've always been told that snake bite kits can and usually do, do much more harm than good? The Doc in my unit in the Marines told us to NEVER attempt to use one on someone who had been bitten. I guess if it's a last resort...

Quote Originally Posted by moravia14 View Post
    All of the above as for safety....Colin Fletcher is a great read, over and over....I want to reiterate about the weather, especially in the Sierras! It can hail in August and rain any time.

The one piece of safety equipment I take and often double and triple check I have it when hiking alone is my snake bite kit.

A few year back Ralph Cutter wrote a great article for California Flyfisher about beginning backpacking for fly fishers. Maybe he still has a copy around?

A place I think of for a good "get your feet wet" hike/fish would be Desolation Wilderness. Anything but desolate, it has well marked trails, lots of beautiful lakes and the hikes don't need to be "forced marches" up steep canyons. You could hike out of Echo Lake area or up to Wrights Lake from the highway.

Another wonderful place to hike out of is Tuolumne Meadows. Again lots of lakes here but also you can hike up the Lyell Fork.

These are not places where you will find days and days without seeing another soul but are good places to start.

Warning: Hiking solo can be addictive!