Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fuller Cooling?

I've not yet seen mention of Woods Lake, just above Caples. Fishing is not that great, mostly 8" to 10" planters. But they eagerly take terrestrials this time of year when it gets windy. And you can't beat the scenery.

Lots of picnicers and kids splashing in the shallows, but it's easy to get away from the crowds. Try the creek inlets. $5/day usage fee. No motors on float craft.

Hope I haven't given away someone's secret place. But I've seen very few fly fishers there--mostly spin and bait guys who get really pissed when they see me catch fish on the surface. Occasionally I even have an appreciative audience.

It's a fun place. Nice alternative to the big lakes up 88.

This has been a crazy year. Ice ice ice ice, 10 minutes of spring, raging hot summer, water too warm now wait for fall. Good year to have a short drive to the fishing so if it's on you can get there. Bad year to have to drive five hours and take what you get.
    Last edited by michaeln; 08-06-2010 at 08:44 PM.

I'm reading that the fishing along 88 is sucking this year. Tons of people, not much stocking and what is stocked is lots of small fish.

I think I'll pass on that area, beautiful as it is. I think I am done until it cools down at Baum and then I will be back there. It's about my favorite place to fish for trout.
    Last edited by michaeln; 08-07-2010 at 01:33 PM.

Forgot to mention that while I was fishing at Fuller, around mid-day I heard this big splash behind me, sounded like someone dropped a watermelon into the lake.

I turned around and about 20 feet behind me I saw a big brown raptor's ass and talons holding a trout maybe 10" long. He took off and I never did see the front or side of him so I don't know if it was an osprey or an eagle. It was pretty big though, estimate 4 foot or more wingspan.

I was surprised the bird hit the water so close to me, but they probably aren't that concerned about people and that's where he/she spotted a fish close to the surface and declared it to be LUNCH!

Quote Originally Posted by michaeln View Post
    Forgot to mention that while I was fishing at Fuller, around mid-day I heard this big splash behind me, sounded like someone dropped a watermelon into the lake.

I turned around and about 20 feet behind me I saw a big brown raptor's ass and talons holding a trout maybe 10" long. He took off and I never did see the front or side of him so I don't know if it was an osprey or an eagle. It was pretty big though, estimate 4 foot or more wingspan.

I was surprised the bird hit the water so close to me, but they probably aren't that concerned about people and that's where he/she spotted a fish close to the surface and declared it to be LUNCH!
    If the bird dead stops in the water, then flies away, it's most likey an osprey. Baldies generally grab and go on the wing. Watch the osprey for a few wingbeats after coming out of the water - it will gain a bit of speed and altitude, stop flapping, and do a dog shake to dry itself. It'll glow in the right light as the droplets fly. Amazing...

Here are a couple of photos from Fuller that I lucked into:

Baldies -

Osprey -

_SHig

Thanks for those, Scott. I think it was an Osprey.

I remember when I was fishing on the Kenai in Alaska I saw a big Bald Eagle swoop down from his perch on a 200' tall snag next to the river, and he picked up a Chinook that must have been 30 lbs... never even slowed down, although you could see him kind of struggling with the weight.
    Last edited by michaeln; 08-07-2010 at 02:49 PM.

Sweet shots!