Thread: A.M. wet wade report

Default A.M. wet wade report

AKA the perils of small hooks.....

Decided to leave the boat at home today and work on an area that I have been finding fish from shore. Fished a 9wt with a OBS floater and since I was wadeing I threw smaller flies(1/0 clousers). Worked a nice run and while swinging/twiching the clouser came tight to a nice fish that quickly had me into my backing and couldnt turn her. I started palming my Galvin T10 to slow her down and she rolled on the surface a couple times, it looked like a very nice upper double digit fish. Finaly was able to start putting line back on the reel and she turned to make another run when everything went slack. I figured that the barbless fly had come unbuttoned, but after realing everything back in I was left with a flattened Gamakatsu 60 degree jig hook. But its like they say...its better to have loved and lost than not at all. Very fun morning.

Sounds exciting, too bad you couldn't quite get her to hand but least you got to see the fish.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Nice Charlie, I would like to see that!

A T-10 and quickly to backing??? Holy crap. Either that thing was a 12 pound Bone or you fell asleep at the wheel. Probably the later. When your ready to mooch some salmon gimme a call. 12 lb main line, Calcutta on the GLX ..... way fun.

The more people I meet, the more I love my dog.

Team Stinky Duck

Holy schnikes Gregg those are good looking fish. With my new schedule getting away is next to impossible, but the things I could do with those fish! The first thing that comes to mind is a nice Gravlax, homemade potato chip, and creme fresh.

And BTW I was all over that fish, maybe too much. I have a scar on my index finger from the line peeling off so fast. But to be honest it has been sooo long that I have fought a fish that size from the shore I probly put a bit too much pressure on it, Im used to them just towing around the boat; and I fell twice trying to scurry down stream to get after it.

Default Hooks opening up on big stripers...

Charlie--'Had a 2/0 open up (same hook type/mfr.) trying to stop a good fish below Gristmill from my boat a couple of years ago. Maybe sometimes it just isn't meant to be.

But you never forget the power, the sensation--just like losing a big steelhead. And it's always there, lurking at the edge of your memories.

Next time.

Ron Otto