Thread: Spey Rod purchase 7 Weight

Default Spey Rod purchase 7 Weight

I am looking to purchase a 7 weight rod and there are many on the market and need some advice. I will use this rod more with a Scandi and Skagit heads and throwing larger flies. I have a Sage 6126 for lighter lines and floating line applications and have heard that Winston 7133 is also a good 7 weight for heavier heads and flies.

Bob,
    There are lots of great 7 wt two hand rods out there. It really boils down to your budget. The Winston 13'3" has been the "benchmark" for a 7 wt. for several years. With that being said, it is more of a 7/8 wt. If you like your Sage, the 7136 would be a good companion. Gary Anderson has three rods that you may also want to consider. In his STS series, Gary has the 13'3" that is similar to the Winston. He also builds a 13' 9" in a seven wt. as well. Gary's Explorer Series offers a 13' 1" seven wt. that comes in a couple hundred dollars less and casts very nice. Our number one selling 7wt. rod last year was the Beulah 13' 2" Platinum Series. As you can see, there are many rods to choose from and we haven't even thrown in the Burkheimer 13' 3" and 13' 4"...total rocket launchers!
    Echo Dec Hogan 13 ft. and Tim Rajeff 13 ft.
    TFO's Deer Creek 7/8
    There are others, however, those are the rods that we have in stock and fish. If you wish, send me a PM and we can discuss this further.
    Terry

Default sage vt2 7130

I have this rod for 3 or 4 years and have really enjoyed it using the type lines you are interested in. It has received a very good review from Simon G. from Rio line co. and I have met several fisherman on various rivers in norcal and oregon fishing this same rod. Price is around 550.00. Good luck in the search for your 7 wt. spey, and by the way this rod is 13ft. 4 piece.

The Sage VT2 Spey 13' #7 - 4 pc is a very popular rod that is very forgiving and will cast a large range of line sizes/weights.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Good evening Bob T
    Your looking for a 7w Double rod and you already have a 6w Double.

To be blunt, your nuts !
    If you buy a 7w ...............................
    You will wonder, why did I spend that money, and lot a lot of consumers look for someone to blame and of course the poor guy that sold you the rod and the line will get the blame far square smack in the head........ which is totally unfair and unreanable.

Why,
    Because you were dreaming, thats all, where in fact you should have said to your self, hey, I have mastered this 6w 'you beaut' Double then lets expand my skill level and advance to a 8/9w rod and OPEN UP a whole new World of learning and skill levels, sink tips etc, and of course, where I can fish and what fish I can pull against in a swift flowing stream/river or ocean current.

I trust I have only added fuel to your thinking ?
    Kindest regards,
    UB
    Kind regards,
    Barry.

Uncle Barry has a good point.......not that much difference between a 6 and a 7 Spey rod.

Unless you want to have a half dozen rods eventually.

Maybe an 8 weight Spey rod would take care of the heavier end of things.

If most of us had a 12'6" #6 and a 13'6" #8 we could fish most situations.

In Nor Cal and Oregon the trend is going to lighter and shorter two-handed rods all the time.

If I had a 11' 6" - 12' #5 and a 13' #7 I could do most of the fishing I do.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Good morning,
    Bill,
    "In Nor Cal and Oregon the trend is going to lighter and shorter two-handed rods all the time."

I think you would find the reason for this would be a couple of factors,
    being, more people are discovering the enjoyment of useing a Double, in both the sweetwater and the Salt, therefore these same people are new to Double casting and equipment,

And they are therefore growing into a 12 foot rod from a 9 footer, and in most cases a 14 or more foot rod length just frightens the hell out of them, its too big !

And comeing from a single handed 9 footer where everybody cries its got to be super light weight or nothing, then they pick up a Double for the first time with ONE hand and straight away think its heavy, forgetting that the weight, the load on the caster's body is shared over two hands.

Now we add another problem for the person coming from a 9 footer, they have problems with a line who has a head length of longer than 50 feet, and a 50 foot head length is ideal for little Doubles.

BUT
    I would think in a few years time, these same people will be asking for a 14 or longer foot Doubles as they now want to blast away into the distance with their new found enjoyment and skill levels.

Kind regards,
    UB
    Kind regards,
    Barry.