Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Human Scent

Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post
    Question(s) Ed. If you are not wearing waders does the sent dissipate more rapidly than with waders? Also, if you are in a tube wearing waders is it difficult to retrieve the next scented choice? When you have retrieved the desired fly and begin to tie it to the tipit do you moisten the leader material?
    Geez, always with the details. I give you gold and you want change.

Okay Bill, here ya go.

I've not noticed any scent dissapation without waders but I'm normally wearing them while tubing. You may want to experiment and let us know.
    I can say that on long walks into canyons the scent does seem to be a lot stronger, just aks Phil.

I've found it to be of paramount importance to file them in the crack in order of use. Think about it. You could be fishing around in your crack for an hour dredging up all kinds of stuff before you find the right fly, wasting valuable fishing time.
    That could get embarrassing if you're not doing it right.

While you're fishing around down there for your flies it's very simple to place your tippet in the 'dead zone' and just slide it right back out. Viola, moistened and scented at the same time.

You see, everythings pretty simple when you know how it's done.

Maybe Bill K. will let me do a class on my fly filing system down at the shop some day?

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post

Maybe Bill K. will let me do a class on my fly filing system down at the shop some day?

Ed
    Let me be the first to make a reservation! Thanks for the details Ed, I appreciate it.

I really feel dumb right now. I had a totally different understanding of the "Crease Fly"!

Quote Originally Posted by michaeln View Post
    Well, at least there was some interesting stuff in this thread before it went completely to hell.
    Oh contraire mon ami. Good info, yes. But this is not the correct forum for a thread to go completely to hell.

That would be the --------- forum.
    Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death, must answer me these questions three, ere the other side ye see.

Default WD40?

My uncle used to use WD40 to mask his hand oil scent. Anyone heard of this?

I've always suggested eating kippered herrings while tying flies.
    Sorta kills two birds at a time. Scent Masker/Attractant. Plus you get a serving of Omega oil!
    Of course, you may not want to leave the flies in your vehicle during hot weather.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 07-30-2010 at 11:31 AM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF