Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Human Scent

I dont know why the fly guy thinks that scent is so taboo
    It all comes down to how you as an individual want to play the game. Some of us prefer to know that it was our ability tie the fly and present it properly that was solely responsible for catching the fish.

I try to keep my hands clean (never fill up the car with gas the morning of the trip, etc.) but never apply anything to the fly. As Gene suggested, it is a very fine line between masking scent on the fly and actually applying scent that attracts fish. To me, applying attracting scent is no different than those who concoct elaborate dip baits (which are widely considered baits) to catch catfish.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker View Post
    It all comes down to how you as an individual want to play the game. Some of us prefer to know that it was our ability tie the fly and present it properly that was solely responsible for catching the fish.

I try to keep my hands clean (never fill up the car with gas the morning of the trip, etc.) but never apply anything to the fly. As Gene suggested, it is a very fine line between masking scent on the fly and actually applying scent that attracts fish. To me, applying attracting scent is no different than those who concoct elaborate dip baits (which are widely considered baits) to catch catfish.
    You guys are barking up the wrong tree here. Masking or covering your scent is easy and quite sporting.

Here's what you do.

Carry your spare flies in your buttcrack.

The ones you want dto fish first will have to be put at the top of the crack, and as the day wears on you just keep digging lower and lower.

The amount of masking scent is dependent upon the both the ambient air temperature and the temperature of the water if float tubing.

The amount of scent imparted is fairly low in the early morning periods but increases quite a lot as the afternoon heat builds up. With trout metabalism increasing with the warmer water temps this works out perfectly.

Then as evening come along the amount of scent decreases along with the amount of fellow fly fishers hanging out with you.

You could find yourself in trout fishing heaven.

I have dozens of pre scented flies available for sale. Just let me know what time of day you intend to fish so I'll know just where to take them from.

If you need stronger scent just let me know 3 days in advance.

Thanks Phil.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post

I have dozens of pre scented flies available for sale. Just let me know what time of day you intend to fish so I'll know just where to take them from.

If you need stronger scent just let me know 3 days in advance.

Ed
    I may get out next weekend, so I'd like to place an order now. I'll take 4-6 Stone Fly Nymphs....the bigger the better, and 4-6 Stimulators...size 8 please.

Do you accept pay pal, or is it cash and carry only?
    Last edited by Phil Synhorst; 07-24-2010 at 09:24 AM.
    Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death, must answer me these questions three, ere the other side ye see.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post
    Here's what you do.
    I rest my case.
    -- Mike

I think I'll change my name to "Phil McCrackin".
    RFT

Quote Originally Posted by Reno Flytyer View Post
    I think I'll change my name to "Phil McCrackin".
    RFT
    Holden McRoyne

Remind me never to bum any flies off Ed or Phil.

Occurred to me this is another argument to go barbless for some.
    -- Mike

Well, at least there was some interesting stuff in this thread before it went completely to hell.

Question(s) Ed. If you are not wearing waders does the sent dissipate more rapidly than with waders? Also, if you are in a tube wearing waders is it difficult to retrieve the next scented choice? When you have retrieved the desired fly and begin to tie it to the tipit do you moisten the leader material?

When I was a young guy I fished occasionally with a fellow that was not shy about throwing worms and/or eggs. He traveled lite and fast with little paraphernalia so he carried his spare bait in his mouth. All he more reason to toss feathers to me! I'm sure I don't know what I was missing!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Chimenti View Post
    To mask with scent, or to remove scent, that is the question.

You could spray your hands with WD40 and probably tear-up the stripers.

I purchased a scent removal stone (sure you have seen it) while in the great Lakes and haven't used it once. I clean my hands as good as possible in the mud and grime after applying sunscreen. i'll try the flies when I go to Pyramid.

Al Linder emits a very high amount of L-serine and must mask this odor. My old girlfriend was just as bad.
    That WD-40 sure does work......

Salmon seem to have the most sensitive of snouts.... 20 years ago, "Dr. Juice" was a big advocate for masking human scent from salmon lures, mostly. I used the stuff that simply cleansed the lure of L-Serine, but didn't add any "scent" as I didn't care to gum up my lures with all the sticky gooey stuff.....

Just dip the lure in the agent and make a cast...... I felt it made a big difference.

The guys from "Pro-Cure" are almost always seen fishing while wearing their black "ninja gloves" they market for sale. Many salmon guides don't let clients touch the roe, kwikfish, or whatever else is being fished for salmon.