Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Human Scent

Quote Originally Posted by albchen View Post
    Also, w.r.t. huntindog, how many of us really wash our hands with soap after taking a leak outdoors? I rest my case.
    Just make sure you don't eat asparagus the night before.

Default good topic !

I dont know why the fly guy thinks that scent is so taboo ! - but after this years experiments - 3 monthes of still water fishing with one guy fishing scented flies and one without - blind of course .... like the old coffee commercial ! - I havent noticed any increase of hits on the covered flies - it does make sense that a trout would detect human scent , but day in day out I did not find an advantage to cover scent - for what it is worth ...

I am very carefull not to get sunscreen - bug spray etc on a fly - even afraid of lip balm when I wet my line tying knots ......

Rainbow power bait....its biodegradable....it has no oil base in it,so your fly won't turn into a sticky mess.....i been using it for years.

Quote Originally Posted by gene goss View Post
    Rainbow power bait....its biodegradable....it has no oil base in it,so your fly won't turn into a sticky mess.....i been using it for years.
    Aha!

Caught'cha!

All this time you're tellin us you're using wiggle tails.

The truth comes out.

Feel better for getting that off your chest Gene?

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Mike O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    Yeah,.... None of us would ever've of thought of that....
    Yeah, but I was on the McCloud two weeks ago watching some guy do up his dishes in the stream...and by his own admission had been coming there for twenty years to Flyfish.

Thanks for the sarcasm... and the eyeroll. Guess we all can't walk on water like you, but jeez, that must make it easy to reach the best spots in the stream
    Last edited by Mike O; 07-22-2010 at 09:28 PM.

Mao, seriously, as a long time user of the backcountry(and frontcountry?) I'd have spoken up right then and there.
    Yep, dunnit.

You missed your chance to educate or shame someone enough to halt a very bad habit.

Learn to walk on water some yourself, every little bit helps.

Like I was saying to Darion once while we were walking across Tahoe.......

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Question Walk on water....

Hey mao,.... No sarcasm this time. One of the reasons I've slowed down my participation on this BB is precisely because guys like you seem to have a need to rain on everyones parade. Post a photo of a catch and get a lecture about poor fish handling, on and on, ad nauseum....

I realize posting this is useless but give everyone here some credit. Just because you saw one guy doing something you don't like on the McCloud doesn't mean we all need to be lectured about it. Leave the holier than thou attitude at the door....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default odor mask

To mask with scent, or to remove scent, that is the question.

You could spray your hands with WD40 and probably tear-up the stripers.

I purchased a scent removal stone (sure you have seen it) while in the great Lakes and haven't used it once. I clean my hands as good as possible in the mud and grime after applying sunscreen. i'll try the flies when I go to Pyramid.

Al Linder emits a very high amount of L-serine and must mask this odor. My old girlfriend was just as bad.
    When all else fails, put down the pole and swim with the dog.

Mike O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post
    Mao, seriously, as a long time user of the backcountry(and frontcountry?) I'd have spoken up right then and there.
    Yep, dunnit.

You missed your chance to educate or shame someone enough to halt a very bad habit.

Ed
    Nope. Didn't. Said something. Got the sarcastic eyeroll from him too. Shame only works for those who feel it.

MAO

Mike O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    Hey mao,.... No sarcasm this time. One of the reasons I've slowed down my participation on this BB is precisely because guys like you seem to have a need to rain on everyones parade. Post a photo of a catch and get a lecture about poor fish handling, on and on, ad nauseum....

I realize posting this is useless but give everyone here some credit. Just because you saw one guy doing something you don't like on the McCloud doesn't mean we all need to be lectured about it. Leave the holier than thou attitude at the door....
    was going to respond, but took it to PM