Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snail Die Off in Lake Davis

Go ahead and copy it, who were you going to send it to?

Quote Originally Posted by FRSam View Post
    Nice work Paul. I forgot about all those bullheads and like you say there were hundreds if not thousands of them off all the shallow points and talk about a vacuum cleaner....

If you don't mind I'd like to copy and paste your letter to Rossi, add a little note, and email it to him.

I'll bet the response will be something along the lines of snails are cyclical in their life cycles where they peak, disappear and then peak again...adding of course we've seen this in other Sierra lakes and it's got nothing to do with anything we've done....

We'll see....

Pete

I thought I'd send it on over to Amber Rossi as well...let them know there's more than one that has these same feelings. (Make that wheel SQUEAK!!!)

Pete
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Go for it.....she hasn't responded to my letter yet.......I am dying to hear their answer for a variety of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by FRSam View Post
    I thought I'd send it on over to Amber Rossi as well...let them know there's more than one that has these same feelings. (Make that wheel SQUEAK!!!)

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by 1flyfisher View Post
    Go for it.....she hasn't responded to my letter yet.......I am dying to hear their answer for a variety of reasons.
    Any response from them yet?

Nope not a word. I figured I would have gotten something in the form of an email response but it hasn't happened.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeln View Post
    Any response from them yet?

I figure the only reason I got a response from them about the copepods was that they already had one made up that they had previously used. They probably don't have a pre-made answer for the snail thing.

I'll be surprised if they answer you at all.

The last time I was on Davis ( July 4th) I saw snails floating on the surface in the camp five area in the morning. Just saying I have seen some snails, so they aren't all gone..............

Chris,

That's great news, but do you remember when there was millions of them in the shallows? Those numbers of snails made that lake famous for large trout and we need those numbers back. Thanks for letting us know, it is somewhat uplifting......

Jon.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

At least someone has seen a few. They are about 99.9% gone at the moment. But It only takes a few snails to survive to repopulate the lake. That is if the few remaining can survive what ever is killing them. It may take several years till we see snails as was usual on Davis but I can live with that, so long as they can come back eventually.
    Snails at Camp 5/south end is a good spot for them to be scattered/blown throughout the rest of the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Evison View Post
    The last time I was on Davis ( July 4th) I saw snails floating on the surface in the camp five area in the morning. Just saying I have seen some snails, so they aren't all gone..............
    Last edited by 1flyfisher; 08-02-2010 at 11:10 AM.

Millions, They were everywhere. If whatever is causing them to die off reverses or goes away (rotenone?) and a few can survive whatever is causing it then they have a shot at coming back. I still haven't heard anything from cadfg on it. I guess they are fed up and don't want to look into it and figure out what is causing the die off. I will wait a little longer on receiving an email then I will call them and see if they are looking into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutstalker55B View Post
    Chris,

That's great news, but do you remember when there was millions of them in the shallows? Those numbers of snails made that lake famous for large trout and we need those numbers back. Thanks for letting us know, it is somewhat uplifting......

Jon.