Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Information on a Abel Reel

Im not sure if youre still checking back on this Eh-um....derailed thread, but heres a list of some Abels (and other gear) being sold.
    http://www.tradenstuff.com/GearList.htm

If you are unable to positively ID your reel. Call Jeff Patterson at Abel and he will tell you exactly what it is and probably more than you need to know about it.

"Standard arbor reels carry line in a narrow, deep slot (even full of backing the flyline is narrow and deep). Large arbor reels carry them in a wide, shallow slot. "

Bingo....we are on the same page.

well, I feel like Im describing a color to a blind person. Try them both and youll see...

Both arguments are correct. If both reels are the same width and the diameter of the backing on the standard arbor reel equals the diameter of the backing on the large arbor reel they would take in line at the same rate.
    But standard arbor reels are not as wide as large arbor reels. That's where the "apples and oranges" argument comes into play.
    It's all in the diameter of the spool.
    RAS

Question Orange 'N Apples....

Just clarifying something here. Not All brands of reels with standard arbors are narrow. Otherwise, Abel Big Game reel spools with large and standard arbors wouldn't be interchangeable on the same frame. Yet they are. Other brands have the same capabilities.

Thinking out loud here, we need to compare the same brand and model of reels equipped with standard arbor spools or large arbor spools with identical line diameters for backing to gain a reasonably accurate outcome....

All things being equal, it seems to me that line take up on a single action reel would be equal on either arbor until the backing on the larger arbor runs out. At that point on the standard arbor there would be the remaining amount of backing to pay out assuming a larger capacity for backing.

Now retrieval on a standard arbor would take a lot more time even if the backing was the same length as the diameter of the arbor is small and each revolution would take up a lesser amount of line until it reached the same diameter as the point where the diameter of the large arbor spool is the same. Where the backing is the same length on each spool, the ending diameter of the standard arbor would be the same as the beginning diameter of the large arbor spool.

From the point where the diameter of the backing on each spool is the same it would seem that one revolution of each spool would take up the same amount of line. Therefore, each would take the same amount of time and spool revolutions to retrieve the backing.

Hope that sounds right....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Thats correct Darian. Abel is the bastard in the arguement (respectfully). I realize this thread was based on able reels but the dialog moved to standard vs large arbor in general terms. And in general terms, they are not comparable with line retrieval rate. I still think my last post on the first page is the best way I can describe it.

I recall this topic going round and round on Blantons board a while ago. I believe you have one camp argueing for Abel reels. If this was the only brand of reel made, then the "no difference" arguement is valid. For all othere makes and models, they arent the same.

The spool width factor is where the rubber meets the road. But the LA reeels are inharently wider. They have to be or they wouldnt even be able to hold a flyline. But they are labled "Large Arbor" not "Wide Spool Large Arbor". Maybe they should start calling them that to clear up such misunderstandings.

Quote Originally Posted by jbird View Post
    Most of us dont need 300+ yrds of backing. How about a show of hands that have ever had more than a 100 yrds of backing out before?
    If you fish only for trout, I would bet the large majority of us have never had a fish take us into our backing AT ALL. I don't have more than 100 yards of backing on any of my reels, and I figure that if a fish gets even 50 yards plus a full fly line and leader away from me, it's likely "GAME OVER" and I'm not going to see that fish again.

By the same token, I feel that paying big bucks for a sophisticated drag system on a 3-6 weight setup you intend to use for trout is really a waste of money. People landed lots of large strong fish with clicker drag reels and a bit of palming of the rim for many many years.

Heck, the majority of fish I have caught have never even gotten onto the reel at all, I end up just stripping them in.

Question Context....

Kinda seems like we're drifting off the discussion area here into trout land.

jbird,.... My point was that any generic comparison of the different retrieve rates between large and standard arbor reels would be invalid if everything's not equal. There are differences in diameters and widths of frames/spools from one brand to another. Even line diameters differ between brands, materials, weaves and/or pound test. I agree that in general, a large arbor spool will take up line at a faster rate than a standard arbor.

I saw the discussion over on Blanton's BB. Not sure I understood all of it, tho. Of course, there may be so little difference in all of this that it's not important except for the purposes of discussion anyway. As a practical matter, unless you're hooked up to Large Yellowfin, Marlin or Sail it probably doesn't come into play....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian

Youre right about that discussion over on Blantons. It IS possible to have TOO much information. I believe its called analysis paralisys. LOL.

It most certainly does come into play on trout reels. In fact I believe more so. Big game reels have ample space for line and backing, whether LA or SA.

I have a 5wt that I use a lot for big trout. It is set up with a loomis venture reel. This reel is a standard arbor. Its a gorgeous reel with good weight and a musical drag and I love it for that. But when a big trout takes me deep into flyline and sometimes backing, there is no way to take up line fast enough with the reel whenn the fish comes at me. I have to strip in such situations. I feel like Im winding line onto a pencil. Its something I have to be totally concious of with that reel.

My 6 & 7wts have LA reels and its soooooo much different with the same amount of line/backing out.

I think the reason the argument on Blantons forum had so many supporters on each side was because a lot of those guys are saltwater, big game anglers. The reels they use have a wider spool because they are so much bigger in general.

Youre also right about this thread getting off track, but the OP has not returned (audibly) to this thread and the discussion has been lively but civil....

Thumbs up Salty Fly Fishin'....

Yep!!!! I can see where landing larger Trout a large arbor would be helpful.

Also, I agree about salty guys being concerned about this. I guess I'm becoming more and more one of them (getting back to my roots in SoCal). In June at Isla Cerralvo, I hooked up with a good size HOT Rooster that turned back toward the panga after making a solid run directly away. Even with a large arbor reel (Redington Brakewater, 9/10) I was unable to keep up. The fish ran under the panga and when the line caught up with the rod, I broke off about 6" from the tip section. Didn't land the fish.... Oh well!!!

It has been a good discussion. Thanks!!!

Author unknown