Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Information on a Abel Reel

Default Information on a Abel Reel

I was going through my fishing gear and pulled out a reel that I did not remember buying. It says Abel No. 2 and 22590. It is a small arbor so i was thinking it was a small freshwater reel but the line on it is WF10S so that makes me think saltwater. I dont see why there would be a small arbor salt reel so i am pretty confused. I would appreciate any information on this reel and also a ballpark price for it. Thank you for any help that you can give me.

It's probably a Big Game #2 reel.

briansII

Thumbs up Abel Reels

Damn!!! You found a reel that used to cost over $600.00 and can't recall buying it....

Before the advent of large arbor spools Abel, Big Game reels, came with a standard (small) arbor spool. Not sure whether Abel makes Big Game reels any longer. The standard arbor is still used by many fly fishers. Not sure about recent Abels but for they used to make several models that were interchangeable with other models and between Big Game and Large Arbor reels.... Check out the abel website for this.

I have an Abel Super 12 that has standard and large arbor spools that I can use. Since both spools fit into the same frame, they standard arbor has more line capacity but the trade off for that is when a large fish is taking you over the horizon, you'll be retrieving the line at a slower rate than with a larger arbor and the drag system will test(?) stronger as the diameter of the remaining line comes closer to that of the spool. (....Hope that's fairly clear )

At any rate, there's nothing wrong with it. It may be relatively old but it's bomb proof and still a valuable reel.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Small Arbor means holding more backing, Large Arbor was a Marketing trick used to get "frugal" flyfisherpeople to go out and get new gear.

Im sure it has some value, but the rate of line return is the same if you have a big wad of backing as when you have a large arbor. Large Arbors are lighter b/c you have less backing. If you get a large arbor with enough backing, its too heavy for anything but a 2-hander unless its made of thin metal or titanium and then it will either bend/warp easily or cost you your firstborn.

That's a nice 7 weight reel......just the older generation.

You can put a Super large arbor spool in it and have a Super 5 reel?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by wjorg View Post
    Small Arbor means holding more backing, Large Arbor was a Marketing trick used to get "frugal" flyfisherpeople to go out and get new gear.

Im sure it has some value, but the rate of line return is the same if you have a big wad of backing as when you have a large arbor. Large Arbors are lighter b/c you have less backing. If you get a large arbor with enough backing, its too heavy for anything but a 2-hander unless its made of thin metal or titanium and then it will either bend/warp easily or cost you your firstborn.
    Im sorry but this is total BS. I think the OP was looking for some FACTS.

Darian is spot on with his post. The reel is indeed valuable!

[QUOTE=jbird;83647]Im sorry but this is total BS. I think the OP was looking for some FACTS.

Do you care to elaborate on just what he said that is BS??

Ok, Lets start with the first sentence.

Now that we have that out of the way...

The rate of line return on a standard arbor decreaces signicantly as you have more flyline off the reel. A large arbor remains relatively constant all the way into backing. When do you want high line retreaval?...When you have line out. The other factor is as you get closer to backing on a standard arbor, the tighter your flyline is wound which makes the back section of flyline come off like a spring. They are excellent reels but Large arbors have been a solution to some of the drawbacks.

The difference in weight that extra backing makes is very insignificant. We're not comparing 500yrds to none. A large arbor reel does have backing, typically less but not worth arguing the weight issue. Have you ever held a 200yrd wad of 30# spectra backing. Its pretty much like holding air.

With New technology of large arbors came the introduction of aircraft aluminum. The materials are lighter and less are needed on a large arbor. A standard arbor reel just inherently has more mass thus heavier. Even if it is made with aerospace barstock.

LA reels arent a "better design" They do fit a niche nicely and solve some of the drawbacks of SA reels tho. I own Large arbor, standard arbor and mid arbor reels. I like them all for different reasons. I will say the standard arbor are my least favorite.

Most of us dont need 300+ yrds of backing. How about a show of hands that have ever had more than a 100 yrds of backing out before? Large arbor reels are perfect for lightweight, high retreaval rate tools. They do exactly as advertised and theyre here to stay.

Bending and warping? I dont think Ive ever considered this when buying a reel. Theres no doubt you get what you pay for, but if your going to get "bending and warping" you might want to assess how you treat your reels.

[QUOTE=jbird;83878]Ok, The rate of line return on a standard arbor decreaces signicantly as you have more flyline off the reel. A large arbor remains relatively constant all the way into backing. When do you want high line retreaval?...When you have line out.

I just get a kick out of this logic guys use. Its simply bad science. If the outside diameter of the spool plus backing is x.xx inches it makes absolutely no difference in line rate of retrieve whether that dimension is large diameter plus backing or small arbor and backing. When a 100 yards of backing is off of each spool the remaining diameter is the same. Only when a LOT of backing has been run off does this come in to play.And at that point the large arbor has no more backing anyway so its a moot discussion. The rest I agree with.

IF you have reels with different overall dimensions then and only then does this really make a difference but then you are comparing apples to oranges IMO.

Yes I think large arbors are still overall better choice but this advantage is way oversold and mostly marketing hype.

And yes, also I have an Abel BG#2 and it was my first high end reel and still holds a special place in my fishing heart!

Quote Originally Posted by ifsteve View Post

I just get a kick out of this logic guys use. Its simply bad science. If the outside diameter of the spool plus backing is x.xx inches it makes absolutely no difference in line rate of retrieve whether that dimension is large diameter plus backing or small arbor and backing. When a 100 yards of backing is off of each spool the remaining diameter is the same. Only when a LOT of backing has been run off does this come in to play.And at that point the large arbor has no more backing anyway so its a moot discussion. The rest I agree with.

Hmmmm. I dont think were on the same page. Let me explain by example. Take out a pfleuger medalist, pull all the FLYLINE off the reel. Have your buddy do the same with a LA design reel. Just for arguements sake , a sage 3800. These fit the profile for a true large arbor. Now, When you say go, both of you start reeling. Post the results of who finishes first.

Standard arbor reels carry line in a narrow, deep slot (even full of backing the flyline is narrow and deep). Large arbor reels carry them in a wide, shallow slot. GATHERING MORE LINE PER ROTATION. Not sure why this is confusing. The outside diameter of the reeling surface with backing on the SA is less than that of the LA. Physics explains the rest.