Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: n umpqua

Quote Originally Posted by matt johnson View Post
    I would also avoid eating at "Munchies" in Glide, especially if your gonna be up there camping and fishing a few days and want to avoid having an itchy butt from all the craps you are going to have to take after dining there.... Matt

I got a good laugh out of that!

The same can be said about the chinese restaraunt here in forks.

Ive eaten there twice over the years and it wasnt bad. I didnt expect it considering the best outsida china is here in Frisco.

got back from the n. umpqua yesterday. fished saturday and sunday. had one grab saturday morning that broke my leader. other than that caught lots of 8-12 inch rainbows. beautiful and tough river but definately will go back. this was my fist time swinging flies and i will tell you the agressivness of the grab is heart pounding. after that hit my heart was pounding and my hands were shaking so bad i could barely put on a new leader and tie on a new fly. i fished mainly mott bridge and some of the camp water. saw a few steelhead when i was standing on the bridge and saturday eve saw a bunch of salmon rolling.

Default It's a great place to further steelhead skills...

Put in my time, hitting it when I could anytime between March and October for a number of years- I learned so much by viewing pools, watching other anglers and talking to Joe Howell, a true master! Some of my greatest steelhead thrills happened on this gem of a river and, I am grateful she taught me enough to fish and catch steelhead anywhere they live...
    Go back whenever you can- this particular river never stops educating any angler who wants to learn- and, isn't that what it is all about?

An admirer and devotee of one of the greatest steelhead rivers that has ever existed,

Don

P.S. I cannot think about going there without at least one morning break after I fish first light, at the Steamboat Inn for the strawberry roll-ups- you gotta taste them to believe how good they are!

I was there for 3 days of fishing last week too. I ended up catching a bunch of fish. Mostly smaller fish in the teens. But, I did get some good sized fish too waking and chugging flies. Beautiful river. And empty. Hardly anyone was there.

Me and my two fishin buddies fished the N. Umpqua the weekend of August 6th. We were swingin exclusively. Caught a bunch of trout, one was actually a cutthroat but no adult steelhead. Dustin actually caught a larger fish on a floating line mid-day, which he said was a steelhead. Mike who witnessed the catch was skeptical. What raised my suspicion was the fact that it was caught mid day on a floating line and this particular fish had a huge belly.....hhhmmmm. I'm thinking trout.

However, this was Dustin's only fishing trip of the year so I did not debate the issue.

This was our 1st time on the N. Umpqua and it was everything I had read about it(except for the lack of steelhead). What a beautiful place.

We also had to vistit Joe howell at the Blue Heron Flyshop. I was glad we did. Joe is a very nice guy, knows the river well and is an icon on the N. Umpqua. Plus we found out he is calling it quits this October. So if you want to meet the legend at the Blue Heron you only have a few months left to visit. Joe said the run this year is probably about 2,500 fish. In 1988 he said there was 20,000 steelhead but a good run is about 8,000.

Our 1st morning there I was fishing camp water just below Steamboat Inn and I was crossing a small side channel to get out to the deeper main channel. I stepped in the side channel and was immediatly in over my head. When this happens to me I look for a large boulder on shore and stand on my hands with my feet overhead to drain out most of the water the just keep fishin.

Quote Originally Posted by speyfool View Post
    Mostly smaller fish in the teens.
    I don't know of any river where steelhead in the teens is considered "smaller." Unless you are talking inches not pounds.

i wanted to get down to the blue heron but it just never happened. the campground i was at is seven miles above campwater. the main reason i was there was for a family reunion and fishing was just a bonus. this allowed me to fish both days in the moring and one evening. during midday i was doing family stuff and was not able to make the drive down to the blue heron. i definately want to go back and fish more.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailknot View Post
    I don't know of any river where steelhead in the teens is considered "smaller." Unless you are talking inches not pounds.
    Kispiox in the past maybe?