Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: n umpqua

troutdog i believe shawn just meant that based on where im staying eugene is a ways out of the way. plus ill be coming in from diamond lake and not roseburg.

thanks for all the info guys.

i will second mike peters as a guide. That dude is more passionate about the north umpqua than any one about anything. highly recommended.
    Capt. Darrin Deel
    www.acflyfishing.com

Instead of going all the way to the Euge why not just talk to Joe Howell at the Blue Heron. If he likes you he'll give you all the info an more that you'll need. Hell even if you're a gaper that he can't stand he'll still go out of his way to help you.

The NU is a pretty simple river, if you can find fish other places you'll have no problem doing so there. If you can't, well then you'll struggle. There's not many secrets, if you see a car parked there chances are the run will fish. It's a matter of being able to fish the run where the fish are holding.

The camp water is popular because it holds fish, has a major trib flowing in, and is just a cool place altogether.

darrin, id like to hire a guide but wont be able to this trip.

aaron, i had already planned on stopping by the blue heron fly shop. ive heard the owner is real nice and very helpful.

as Aaron says - look for cars parked on the side of the road and even get out and watch for awhile - there are no secret runs but here are definite runs that hold fish and most folks who fish it alot know where these are - so keep notes and even if you have to pass up a run because someone is in it - go back later and look at it more closely and go fish it just to see if you can figure where the fish will be - and again, look for fish holding from the road.

Because much of the river is bedrock and not gravel, runs won't change as much from year to year - so if you find a fish holding this year, chances are when you go back next year this would be a place to look

you also need to go to the steamboat inn for breakfast and
    o.rder the sour cream rolls. They are awesome

you also need to go to the steamboat inn for breakfast and
    o.rder the sour cream rolls. They are awesome
    Steamboat is cool...to visit. The food is overpriced and honestly kind of sucks. Fish first light till whenever then head down the Ilahee in Glide for Brunch. Much less expensive, much better food, and much nicer people.

latest run info from OF&W for Umpqua at Winchester Dam

Runs are similar to past few years - the last big year was in 2006 when there were 1475 fish by June 15 which was around 19% of the total run

Since then runs through June 15 and percent of run have been:

2007 - 607 (13%)
    2008 - 751 (11%)
    2009 - 615 (12%)
    2010 - 683

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    The food is overpriced and honestly kind of sucks. Fish first light till whenever then head down the Ilahee in Glide for Brunch. Much less expensive, much better food, and much nicer people.
    Aaron, i've never heard of anybody who doesn't like the food at Steamboat, but that"s cool! The Inn may be a little snooty, but I always enjoyed the contrast that atmosphere provides against the backdrop of 'hicksville' that characterizes that part of oregon.

The Ilahee is a better dinner option in my opinion, because the price of a dinner at Steamboat dinner is definitely out of my league. But, who eats dinner on the North Umpqua anyways? I'm personally always casting away into the dark trying to beat the skunk!

I would also avoid eating at "Munchies" in Glide, especially if your gonna be up there camping and fishing a few days and want to avoid having an itchy butt from all the craps you are going to have to take after dining there.... Matt