Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: n umpqua

Question No Umpqua Regs/Rules....

Simple matter to resolve. Call the Oregon Fish & Wildlife agency for current requirements....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

No leadcore, not no sinking lines. I think its technically "no sinking lines that will sustain a angle when bent" or something like that. Basically, no leadcore.

By the way, I heard the Caddis Fly Shop was bought by Karen and Xavier Carbonnet(spl?) the owners of California Fly Shop...

I'm also going to the NU in early August for the first time. I'm really excited, I can barely contain myself.

I've heard it can be really crowded this time of year, so I'm not exactly sure if I should skip camp water and just go up or downstream to avoid the people. I dunno. Any suggestions?

Also, if in the camp water, is it better to be on the highway side or on the south side and walk along the trail? Probably some or both. But if I can make things easier, I'll have more time on the water and less walking in the rocks.

Thankyas

Camp Water is tough to fish from road side - you really need to park across Mott Bridge and walk down. The one thing about the NU, normally if someone is in a run you just move on to the next one - Camp Water is a bit different as it is a continuous section of pools so it is ok if you go in above someone as long as you don't crowd them but I always ask about dropping in below even if I am going several pools down as many folks just continue to move down through Camp Water. Other runs that are more discreet you should move on or just wait until the guy leaves. There is lots of water along the road and you can just drive up and down and just drop over the side when you see some thing that looks good to you.

I rarely walk the trail except to fish Camp Water but a number of folks do. I just road fish often stopping and looking to see if I can see fish before dropping over the bank (binoculars are handy!)

speyfool when are you going to be up there? ill be there from the 13th to the 16th.

Quote Originally Posted by wjorg View Post
    No leadcore, not no sinking lines. I think its technically "no sinking lines that will sustain a angle when bent" or something like that. Basically, no leadcore.

By the way, I heard the Caddis Fly Shop was bought by Karen and Xavier Carbonnet(spl?) the owners of California Fly Shop...
    If you can not even use a fly that has tungsten wire, why allo sink tips or sinking lines?
    So
    can't use a indicator
    cant use a fly with a beadhead, tungsten head, lead wire, or tungsten wire
    cant use leadcore
    can use sinking lines.

Is it they just dont want lead so you can use a tungstein fly (doubt it). Those regs are really confusing.

Solution to confusing regulations.

1. use a floating line.
    2.Tie on Leader and tippet of choice
    3. Tie on fly.. and to make it real easy
    4. tie on muddler(hitch optional) or skunk.
    5 Dont worry about even bringing sinking lines.

Get up early fish late and take a nap in the afternoon.

Default True

however options are few out of Roseburg so why would you say don't bother? Have you ever been to the fly shop I mention? Even better one could fly into Eugene from SF and save 7 hours of driving and hit the McKenzie if the North Umpqua proves to be slow due to the heat which is a very distinct possibility. 60 miles one way when going 500 isn't a deal breaker in my eyes. I lived up there for 4 years and fished everywhere so I am lending my experience. Open to anyone's interpretation I suppose on your end and on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn kempkes View Post
    eugene is about 60 miles in the wrong direction so dont waste your time going there.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by joshfish View Post
    speyfool when are you going to be up there? ill be there from the 13th to the 16th.
    Hey Josh. I'll be there a few days before you. Arriving on the 9th. We'll just miss each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick J View Post
    Camp Water is tough to fish from road side - you really need to park across Mott Bridge and walk down. The one thing about the NU, normally if someone is in a run you just move on to the next one - Camp Water is a bit different as it is a continuous section of pools so it is ok if you go in above someone as long as you don't crowd them but I always ask about dropping in below even if I am going several pools down as many folks just continue to move down through Camp Water. Other runs that are more discreet you should move on or just wait until the guy leaves. There is lots of water along the road and you can just drive up and down and just drop over the side when you see some thing that looks good to you.

I rarely walk the trail except to fish Camp Water but a number of folks do. I just road fish often stopping and looking to see if I can see fish before dropping over the bank (binoculars are handy!)
    Thanks Rick for the info.

I'll probably check out the camp water and see what kind of zoo it is. Maybe on the second day I'll explore downstream a bit. I wonder what makes the Camp Water so popular. Is it the # of holding fish, the beauty, or the holding water itself/structure, or accessibility? Or all of the above?