Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: n umpqua

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default n umpqua

my uncle owns umpqua's last resort on the n umpqua. looks like i might be headed up there in august for a family reunion. i would like to try and get in some fishing and was looking for some tips. what rods, lines ,flies and methods?

First the N Umpqua has no eight on flies before October though you can use floating lines and sink tips - nice river for 2 handers ans switch rods but a standard 7-9 wt rod will work well - 9.5' or even 10' rods are nice for getting better mends.

Flies can range from traditional - green butt skunk is one of the best to marabou type patterns. Early and lat it can be great dry fly skating water. Sizes generally maybe on the large size - 2/0 to 4 though small patterns can also work

You really need cleats of some type for many of the runs and a wading staff it also a good idea. Make a point at stopping at Joe Howell's Blue Heron shop - just downstream from where the fly only water starts at Deadline.

One of my favorite rivers

missed the w on weight - ie no weighted flies allowed!!

thanks for the reply rick. yeah i read about the no weights and no indicators either. do you know the reason for that?

No weight b/c some influential locals are dry line/traditional tactic snobs?

No indicator b/c Dean Schubert and Dave Hickson?

Apparently the same locals that banned these things now want to keep wild fish on the river I hear?

wjorg

You are too too funny..........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Rick J View Post
    First the N Umpqua has no eight on flies before October though you can use floating lines and sink tips - nice river for 2 handers ans switch rods but a standard 7-9 wt rod will work well - 9.5' or even 10' rods are nice for getting better mends.

Flies can range from traditional - green butt skunk is one of the best to marabou type patterns. Early and lat it can be great dry fly skating water. Sizes generally maybe on the large size - 2/0 to 4 though small patterns can also work

You really need cleats of some type for many of the runs and a wading staff it also a good idea. Make a point at stopping at Joe Howell's Blue Heron shop - just downstream from where the fly only water starts at Deadline.

One of my favorite rivers
    Are you sure? I was told it was no weight period, including no sinking lines and no splitshot (as well as not weighted flies)

Question No Umpqua Regs/Rules....

Simple matter to resolve. Call the Oregon Fish & Wildlife agency for current requirements....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

No leadcore, not no sinking lines. I think its technically "no sinking lines that will sustain a angle when bent" or something like that. Basically, no leadcore.

By the way, I heard the Caddis Fly Shop was bought by Karen and Xavier Carbonnet(spl?) the owners of California Fly Shop...

I'm also going to the NU in early August for the first time. I'm really excited, I can barely contain myself.

I've heard it can be really crowded this time of year, so I'm not exactly sure if I should skip camp water and just go up or downstream to avoid the people. I dunno. Any suggestions?

Also, if in the camp water, is it better to be on the highway side or on the south side and walk along the trail? Probably some or both. But if I can make things easier, I'll have more time on the water and less walking in the rocks.

Thankyas