Thread: September first is a traditional SH date.

Default September first is a traditional SH date.

When September first rolls around the blood starts stirring in the west coast Steelheaders.

For traditional fall Steelheading (swinging flies) I like September, October and most of November when the water is not so cold and the fish are more "vertically inspired".

October would be my first choice if I was going to pick a month to go every year.

September still has warm days so it is better early and late in the day with the sun off the water, especially if you are using a floating line with dry or damp flies in the surface.

October usually starts to cool some and the fishing can be more consistent with fish spread out through the rivers.

November usually cools and some times we need to go to a sink-tip line and get the fly down to them more. In November the water is not so cold that the fish won't move for a fly.

If you need help planning a trip for fall Steelheading just call, email or come by the shop because we have a good staff who is crazy about fishing Steelhead, especially using traditional methods.

Some of our closest good rivers for fly fishing for Steelhead are the Trinity, Klamath and Rogue Rivers.

Our valley river can be good to and they are very close for most of us.

There are a handful of fly fishing guides who specialize in traditional methods with single-hand and two-handed fly rods. We can connect you with them.

http://speyshop.kiene.com/speyguides.aspx

Traditional methods are not about catching numbers of Steelhead, but about fly casting and "fishing for the grab".

The fish you catch using traditional methods are usually more desirable fish.

Traditional Steelheading is not for everyone........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I hope we get a good halfpounder run this year on the American. Last year was disappointing. I can't wait to get one on the swing with my TCX switch rod.

Bill - not question - there is a pull this time of year - I just can't decide if I enjoy steelheading or trout more - before I got into the 2-handed game I would have picked trout hands down - nothing gets to me more than spending anywhere from 10 minutes to over an hour or more on a spring creek bank sipper with a fly smaller than a 20 and finally seeing that head come up and suck in your fly!!!!

But I so enjoy the 2-handed game now - this just may beat the above - that initial tug can really set the heart racing. Bruce and I are running up on the lower Klamath this weekend to check it out - he has been doing well over the last few weeks but fish are starting to spread and thin out - but just getting out there and play the game of cast... step down... cast... fully expecting that this cast just has to tie up with a chrome fish

It's about being on a good Steelhead river, wading, casting, reading the water, seeing a fish roll........and maybe a "grab" once and a while.

I have an old photo (slide) of myself and old fly fisher Neil Hansen up on the Trinity River in the 1970s. It's raining and we are on the river taking a break with our raincoat on drinking hot coffee and smoking a cigarette. I'll try to find that photo some day.......

Counting my "night crawler era" I have been fishing Steelhead for 50 years.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Jeff,

The spring run seemed good and I was seeing a few here and there when the flows were up around 4k cfs. But yes, the fall fishing was rather dismal for how I like to fish em. I do hate seeing a bunch of risers though when striper fishing because it makes me want to fish for them and also tells me there are probably no striper in the run if those fish are feeling free to hang out and feed.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

I've fished the water that you fish in the evening a couple of times mid-day. It's perfect water for swinging flys.