Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: n umpqua

Default n umpqua

my uncle owns umpqua's last resort on the n umpqua. looks like i might be headed up there in august for a family reunion. i would like to try and get in some fishing and was looking for some tips. what rods, lines ,flies and methods?

First the N Umpqua has no eight on flies before October though you can use floating lines and sink tips - nice river for 2 handers ans switch rods but a standard 7-9 wt rod will work well - 9.5' or even 10' rods are nice for getting better mends.

Flies can range from traditional - green butt skunk is one of the best to marabou type patterns. Early and lat it can be great dry fly skating water. Sizes generally maybe on the large size - 2/0 to 4 though small patterns can also work

You really need cleats of some type for many of the runs and a wading staff it also a good idea. Make a point at stopping at Joe Howell's Blue Heron shop - just downstream from where the fly only water starts at Deadline.

One of my favorite rivers

missed the w on weight - ie no weighted flies allowed!!

thanks for the reply rick. yeah i read about the no weights and no indicators either. do you know the reason for that?

No weight b/c some influential locals are dry line/traditional tactic snobs?

No indicator b/c Dean Schubert and Dave Hickson?

Apparently the same locals that banned these things now want to keep wild fish on the river I hear?

wjorg

You are too too funny..........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

...only on Sunday nights. : )

Default Steehead enter large NW rivers on morning of the 4th of July

Some believe that Steelhead start to enter our large free flowing NW river systems around the 4th of July every summer.

This would include rivers like the be the Columbia drainage, the Umpqua, Rogue and Klamath Rivers.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Some locals like Al Perryman who lives on the Rogue River goe out all summer at "dark-thirty" before work and fish for about an hour several times a week.

Al is swinging traditional #4 dark winged patterns on a floating line with a smaller Spey rod.

I will call Al to see if he has been out yet?

__________________________________________________ __________________________

We have fished the Lower Klamath River in August several times with a little success.

Over 20 years ago Chris Pasley and I were invited by Mac of Time Flies fly shop in Arcata to go in August for a day of exploratory fishing for Steelhead.

In the early morning in the dark Chris hit a nice fresh wild 4 pounder on his 4 weight rod, floating line and Red Tag Renegade fly. We were just a few riffles above Klamath Glen.

Through the day we did not have a lot of luck in the hot sun and clear skies. We jetted up the river through the day. Mid-day we found a shady spot and took a nap on the soft sand under some willows. That evening we motored back down the river.

Near dark in the lower river not far from Klamath Glen we hit a big school of fresh Half-pounders hanging in a fast riffle. They were smokin hot making screaming runs and jumping on our small 4 and 6 weight trout rods.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

When the fish come in these rivers early they are effected by the varying water temperatures and so they will hold where they find cold water near springs or tributaries.

In the summer the fishing is mostly early and late so it is not hardly worth going for those who have to travel great distances.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

I called Al up in Oregon today and got some good feedback.

Al says the steelhead counts on the Rogue River are already pretty good.

He has hooked 3 smaller steelhead in the last month or so. he said they were 19 to 22 inches but had heard of someone else getting into a 6 pounder already.

Al is using a #5 weight Spey rod with a Scandi head and a 15' Rio Steelhead leader plus some tippet. He said he is now using #1/0 and #2 dark winged classic patterns to keep the little smolts off the line.

He is only fishing a short time in the extreme early morning on his way top work.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Not sure if you are interested in a guide? But if you are, or you just have questions, look up Mike Peters (541) 582-3158. If he's not available he'll connect you w/ another great guide. There are only a few permitted there...

Mike is one fishy and funny dude and he knows that river well. You will learn a lot of good stuff about casting a spey rod and swinging & skating flies on the N Umpqua.
    "Fishing should be a ceremony that reaffirms our place in the natural world and helps us resist further estrangement from our origins."
    Thomas McGuane

www.reeladventuresguideservice.com