Thread: A Friends Question RE Saltwater Set Up...

Default A Friends Question RE Saltwater Set Up...

What do you use for mono and knots to tie on a section of mono to create a loop on the end of your flyline? Need something small and tight to fit thru the guides. Last thing I need is for a jack or snook to take a run and snap some guides and or rod tip! Just curious. I like loop to loop connections for my 9 wgt, but tie leader directly to the flyline on my 4 and 6 wgts.

I haven't been lucky enough to have hit the salt yet so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks,

Pete
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Talking Knots to You....

If I understand the question correctly, For mono leader materials I always use MAXIMA, Chameleon, green. If you're going to connect your butt section to the rest of your leader on light weight rigs, use perfection or surgeons loops. Actually, if you want to use something (other than a loop) that is lesser in diameter and provides high knot strength, try a slim beauty..... Easy to tie and goes thru the guides smoothly.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

My first choice would be the Berkeley Big Game in green. But that's only if you can find it. They have replaced it with the BBG Trilene and I find that's not a durable as the original. Every shop and sporting goods store I go to, I buy a spool of 20lb and 25lb. I have 3- 25lb and 1-20lb. My next mono would be Maxima in Green.

Like Darian, I use a slim beauty but only when connecting two different diameter of lines, ie: 20lb to 60lb. You should have any of your leader going through the guides. I've seen too many rod tips snap, a lot of snake guides ripped off the tip sections.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by FRSam View Post
    to create a loop on the end of your flyline?

You can use braded hollowcore loop material. Gudbrod (sp) makes a good product. Rio makes some prebuilt loops that are quite good and the spey size are good saltwater size too.

I have had great success by folding over the flyline and securing the leg to the flyline with two seperat nailknots about 1" apart. Then I coat it well with aquaseal and it is a VERY durable, VERY smooth loop. Similar to the welded loops you find on many flylines.

My favorite mono is MAXIMA ULTRAGREEN. The strongest mono for knot strength ever made, IMO.

I also like the slim beauty alot but Im not sure it has a place in the answer to your question.

The loop knot I make in my mono to loop onto my flyline is a knot called the Kreh loop. I did a bunch of testing with this knot. I tied it in 20# ultragreen. A kreh loop on one end, a bimini twist on the other (said by many guys to be THE strongest loop knot) My testing resulted in a break in the mainline or the bimini twist every single time. Not once did the Kreh loop fail.

Thanks guys...sounds good...I'll pass this along...

Pete
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach