Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wader Repair

Default Wader Repair

I have a pair of the Redington CPX Zip Front waders. I've been very happy with them.

Yesterday when I was taking them off I noticed that the tape on the heel area of the neoprene stocking foot is starting to come loose. They do have a warranty, but I'd have to send them in and pay 30 bucks. I'd rather re-glue that tape myself.

I have Pliobond, Aquaseal, and Shoe Goo here. I wonder which of them would be the best adhesive to use for this re-gluing? I am leaning toward Aquaseal because I know it is recommended for fixing leaks in breathable waders, but I am not sure it is the right adhesive for this particular repair.

Suggestions?

PS: Before you suggest I ask Redington, I already have. Their warranty repair service is pretty lame. For instance, a small plastic part of the suspenders broke. I asked them to send me the part and they responded with a form letter asking me to fill out the attached wader repair form (which wasn't attached) and return it and the product "without the rod tube and sock" along with payment of $30. I ended up fixing the part with a small ziptie, and I'd rather avoid dealing with those nitwits.

Aquaseal is the way to go. When I was young and broke I repaird my wetsuit 20 or 30 times with that stuff. That suit lasted me 4 winters and it was used when I bought it.

Jay hit it right on the nose, Aquaseal.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

I had the same problem with my waders (also redington) a couple seasons ago and used shoe goo. So far it's been great. I've probably easily put 75 days of hard wading on them since. I have noticed that the very outside edge of the glue is starting to come loose though.

I think the secret to a home fix like this is to get the goo (or whatever you use) to thin out a little so it wicks into the neoprene. Otherwise, in a high friction area like the heel of a booty, it won't stand a chance.
    >>>
    >>>

"No. I uh... I put... uh... Why, you buying?"
    -Roy Munson

http://www.sac-sierratu.org/

for me wader repair goes like this...every year or two send back to cabelas...one week later get new waders. seems to be working.

I should order from Cabelas I guess. I'm having issue with a pair of Orvis Endura..... both seems on the legs just seep water like crazy now even though they look perfectly intact/sealed. Hopefully I can get them replaced as they started leaking about a year after purchase but it wasn't too bad so I put up with it. UV wader repair helped a lot for a few months but I'm not putting up with it anymore.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

The tape on the neoprene feet/booties on stocking foot waders is mostly for cosmetics but I would fix it overnight with AquaSeal.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks everyone, Aquaseal it shall be. Since I fished in 'em yesterday and don't plan on fishing in 'em again in the near future, I will let them air dry for a couple days before I do the repair.

After you slather the aquaseal on, lay some thin plastic (a ziploc baggie works well) over the patch and squish it around so you get good coverage. Just leave the plastic stuck to it as it dries. When it is cured just peel it off. This also allows you to get nice flat patches that don't feel like rocks in your boots forever or get torn off if you snag your waders on something.

Wish I could explain it better, but it works.

Mike
    Eat it. Eat it. Simon says EAT IT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jgoding View Post
    I should order from Cabelas I guess. I'm having issue with a pair of Orvis Endura..... both seems on the legs just seep water like crazy now even though they look perfectly intact/sealed. Hopefully I can get them replaced as they started leaking about a year after purchase but it wasn't too bad so I put up with it. UV wader repair helped a lot for a few months but I'm not putting up with it anymore.
    Take advantage of Orvis' 100% satisfaction guarantee. Keep taking them back....