Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragonfly Nymphs and Bass

Default Dragonfly Nymphs and Bass

Working on the latest Water Dragon... Finished tying it up thinking the elusive bluegills would slay it, turns out the bass liked it just as much, shocked the hell out of me, I have never caught bass on dragonfly nymphs but damn they tore this bad boy up...

Anyway off to the Church pond with my boys... Photos tell the rest of the story.

Here is the fly that did the deed.

Water Dragon
    Gami size 6 Stinger Hook
    Clear Cure Goo Mono Eyes
    Some Dubbing
    Crosscut Rabbit
    Rubber Legs
    A couple strokes of CCG Brushable down the back and a coating of the Thick around the eyes and you are set.

A floating dragonfly nymph has far and away been my best bass producer for quite some time! Tie them with foam so they sit right in the film and wake when you twitch em. WHAMO!!!

Thumbs up

Dragon Fly Nymphs are one of my passions. I think it is more important for the fly to act correctly in the water than anything. I've spent lots of time looking at dragon fly nymphs in the water and the last thing they do is "rocket to the bottom." Going for the plastic eyes and a more "neutral" buoyancy is key.

Nobody can argue with your success!
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

Fats.. If you would be kind enough to talk a bit about your thoughts on these things, typical retrieves, behaviors of the dragon fly nymph, that would be awesome. I had NO IDEA that bass would slam these things, I think of bass typically going for the large meal of a bluegill, shiners, frogs, worms, just not aquatic insects-

I appreciate anything you might have to offer.

I have been catching alot of bass lately up to about 5 pounds on a size 8 black wiggle tail type fly. Bass will eat small stuff as well, plus I beleive you get mre bass on smaller flies than larger ones.

Love the look of your dragonfly nymph!
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by bcarson4374 View Post
    Fats.. If you would be kind enough to talk a bit about your thoughts on these things, typical retrieves, behaviors of the dragon fly nymph, that would be awesome. I had NO IDEA that bass would slam these things, I think of bass typically going for the large meal of a bluegill, shiners, frogs, worms, just not aquatic insects-

I was using a fly called the Skip Morris predator on a sinking line this weekend when they stopped whacking my topwater frog and they couldnt get enough of it. You can google it as it is easy to tie.
    good luck...Lee

Quote Originally Posted by bcarson4374 View Post

Ok, let me dust off some stuff... (it's been a while) Dragon fly nymphs are predatory insects that can get to be rather large, #6 or even larger (although the really large specimens tend to be found in lakes and ponds without fish... go figure!) They are cryptic in coloration (they try to blend in) and are ambush predators. They do have their gills tucked into the last few segments of their abdomen and they can pull water into it an expel it with some force and jet through the water for a short spurt (about an inch or two is the longest I've ever seen)

Whenever I've kicked up dragon fly nymph in a pond and watched it return to the bottom, it drifts down like a bit of leaf or some other non-descript chunk of pond goo... They never rocketed to the bottom. I think it is a defense mechanism... things that move are alive and equate to bass chow. Things that are not alive just settle... and don't get eaten.

It's a big wad of bug protein so bass and blue gills will seek them out. When I try to fish them, I tend to put as little movement on the fly as possible until it settles to the bottom. I try to visualize a nymph that is moving toward the bottom that is trying to not be seen but has screwed up and brought attention to itself. Once the fly is down... I just creep it along the bottom, although most of my strikes come on the fall. I only really cast them into area where I'm confident there is a fish. It is a lousy searching pattern.

My best pattern was one that I worked up for sight fishing to fish on the spawning beds... (at least that was the idea... I don't use it for that much because I quickly got over the impulse to fish for spawning bass.) The idea was to drop it into the bed and have the bass come over and smash the egg stealing predator (Dragon fly nymphs are nasty enough that they will take eggs and small fish fry if they can, they've got these really cool extending jaws that shoot out with a set of pincers that put the "Alien" to shame!)

I tied up some variations of in size and color... The green was the most successful seller, but I liked the brown version better, as it was a prettier fly. I don't have a picture of the brown. The nymphs are tend to have a flattened abdomen so you have to contend with that if you want a "non-fuzzy" nymph. Your attempt is another way to solve the problem. They and sedentary enough that the nymphs get coated with algae and pond goo so the rabbit hair isn't a bad choice although it isn't entirely accurate from an entomological stand point. In my pattern I was really concerned on making sure that the bug settled slowly which is why I'm a fan of the plastic eyes. I was always struck with the segmentation on the abdomen which is why I went with the overhand weave of the larva lace. I used a hare antron blend under the lace to get some of the "spikey" look to the fly as well. It's accurate, but I think you fly will move better. I'd need to fish them side by side to find my preference.

I hope that helps you out... those are my thoughts on the subject...

Thanks brother, very informative. Ill give the ole fly a tweak and see what I can come up with.

Excellent thread going here. Bass and dragon nymphs are a great game! Here's a link to one of my favorite patterns. Very effective used with a sink tip or full sinking line. Enjoy.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/khanle...agon_nymph.htm
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

I like the idea of the foam used for the eyes... The fly should be nice and light. I'm not sure about the "swimming" nymph behavior but if it works, who am I to argue with success! That looks like a very cool pattern.