Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: SHig's Pram Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SHigSpeed View Post
    Why the drain hole? Can't you just tip it up on end and drain it?
    No drain hole in the Spring Creek prams. I kept a large sponge in the battery compartment under the seat to remove the water that accumulates in the boat during the day, and the remainder would get drained out when I put it on the rack on my car.

Besides, if you have a drain hole it is only a matter of time until you do what every boater with a boat that has a drain plug does eventually... launch the boat having forgotten to put the plug in.

I see no need for a drain hole, it is just another thing to have to remember to do before I go fishing. Plus it is another place that can leak.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by SHigSpeed View Post
    Early on I had considered the El Toro type shape, but the flat bottom is really where I want to be. My current plans are based on general dimensions of the Redwood, though I've heard that the Metalhead is more stable. You say you like the Drifter better than the Valco huh? Lots of guys love the Valco.

Metalhead is significantly more stable than the Redwood welding and valco.

Quote Originally Posted by wjorg View Post
    Metalhead is significantly more stable than the Redwood welding and valco.
    What about the design of the Metalhead contributes to this stability?

Thanks!

_SHig

I suppose you could always have a good design and load the boat wrong with the weight you have in it.

When Ive seen guys in the valcos, they didnt seem to want to stand much.

The RW rocker seemed to contribute to a stern close to the water when a guy stood and especially when he reached down to pull the anchor with a fish on. The cut out handles are a death trap.

Metalhead seems not to tilt stern down as much, even with the full rocker design. The flat bottom was the "cats meow," hence how I told you one could "lean out of the corner and piss out of it." : )

The swivel seat is used when I use the electric motor. The drain plug isn't necessary, the first pram I built didn't have one, you just tip it over. Standing isn't necessary for casting , I just like the idea I can stretch my legs and take a leak. I also have flotation chambers in the two boxes front and back.

James

www.fisharslonga.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1559.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	1818  

Quote Originally Posted by Black Cloud View Post
    The swivel seat is used when I use the electric motor. The drain plug isn't necessary, the first pram I built didn't have one, you just tip it over. Standing isn't necessary for casting , I just like the idea I can stretch my legs and take a leak. I also have flotation chambers in the two boxes front and back.

James

www.fisharslonga.com
    Hey James,

How did you decide where to put your seat? It seems a bit far forward compared to other designs. Is that where the plans showed it (if you used plans)? I'm wondering because it's far from the transom and the motor tiller and seems like when sitting and casting the center of weight is a bit more forward than the center of buoyancy. I guess with a 60 lb battery and 30 lb motor all the way back it may balance things out nicely...

_SHig

Quote Originally Posted by wjorg View Post
    I suppose you could always have a good design and load the boat wrong with the weight you have in it.

When Ive seen guys in the valcos, they didnt seem to want to stand much.

The RW rocker seemed to contribute to a stern close to the water when a guy stood and especially when he reached down to pull the anchor with a fish on. The cut out handles are a death trap.

Metalhead seems not to tilt stern down as much, even with the full rocker design. The flat bottom was the "cats meow," hence how I told you one could "lean out of the corner and piss out of it." : )
    I did notice from the photos that the side height of the MH boats was higher in the rear with less rear rocker. That's what I've incorporated in my design. No handle cutouts either! I'm sure the high stern of the RW boat would help in rivers rowing backwards in the current, but that's not a high priority for me.

_SHig

SHig , the plans for my pram is called sabotina, same as the el toro,a small sailboat. I modified a few things but the seat is where it was called for.

I guess I'm the exception here. I spend more time standing on the seat of my Metalhead than I do the floor. I'm pretty active while fishing, constantly looking in the water and in all directions for clues as to where the fish are. On the seat I can cast in any direction quickly and get a bit more distance out when I need to.

Lucky it wasn't Mom's job to feed the hogs.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.