Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: SHig's Pram Build Thread

Man, I agree, that's a beauty!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker View Post
    Man, I agree, that's a beauty!
    For sure! There's something to be said about a nice stained wood classic. Sort of like a 'boo rod. That said, I'm going tech on this one. Maybe I'll go old school when I build me a cane stick years from now...

_SHig

Default Pram project

Scott,

I really like the lines of the model you mocked up, and the flat, slightly rockered floor/bottom. Looks like it'll row easy and motor well.

As a former builder (and maintenance man) of a wooden El Toro sailboat (Boy Scout Merit Badge Project in 1964) I have to say that I don't miss the wooden boat.

I have a Redwood Welding 8' drifter (really 7' 7") and after a TPL and a couple of Valcos, it's the best I've had.

One thing I observed in Black Cloud's beauty that I wish I had in the drifter (that I suggest you consider for your project) is the drain hole in the stern.

Your pattern appears to mimic the Redwood drifter with one exception and that is the oarlock mounts that are 3 inches higher than the gunwales (like the extensions on Black Cloud's)...I wish the ones on mine were a little higher (at least 2") to keep the oars off my knees...I have 2" spacers that I added to the oarlocks on my Clackacraft drift boat that now go back and forth between it and the Redwood Little Drifter.

Have fun..."Happpy Hand Tools"

Paul
    Last edited by pgw; 07-08-2010 at 08:13 AM. Reason: I flunked speelin in 2nd grade

Quote Originally Posted by SHigSpeed View Post
    I know Spring Creek makes a fiberglass/kevlar jobber, but isn't it at its core a chopper gun "plus"?
    Dunno what that means, but the Spring Creek prams are hand laid, not chopper gun.

Not feather light by any means...
    The Stillwater Classic "Lite" is 59lbs. Remember that those boats have full USCG flotation, sturdy solid oak gunwales and a pedestal swivel seat built-in and included in that weight.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeln View Post
    Dunno what that means, but the Spring Creek prams are hand laid, not chopper gun.

The Stillwater Classic "Lite" is 59lbs. Remember that those boats have full USCG flotation, sturdy solid oak gunwales and a pedestal swivel seat built-in and included in that weight.
    Hand laid can mean fabric and glue over chopper though. Does SC use any sort of core material? Or perhaps a thick roving or mat between fabric? Because fabric alone would make for a thinner, flexy layup. Thick enough to be rigid would be heavier.

On your Hopper II can you guess how thick the walls were? Did they have plywood/foam/anything embedded in the 'glass?

59 lbs ain't bad, but it's not a feather - though the seat probably weighs 5 pounds alone.

I like all the "if I were to do things different" comments BTW. Keep 'em coming!

So, does anyone stand on the seat bench? Folding boat seat that much better than sitting on a flotation throw?

_SHig

Quote Originally Posted by SHigSpeed View Post
    So, does anyone stand on the seat bench? Folding boat seat that much better than sitting on a flotation throw?

_SHig
    At 6-4/255, my center of gravity would be over 5' above the waterline (and the balance point) if I stood on the bench of the Redwood Welding Drifter...my mom fed all the dumb babies to the hogs when their bones were still soft...so I am disinclined to stand on the bench for any reason.

I do stand up on the deck (which some may call the floor) when necessary to see fish when I fish lakes but have never found it necessary to stand for casting...I installed a swiveling folding seat on the bench (slides on and off)...can still use "just" the floatation cushion if necessary but having the backrest/support provided by the seat...priceless!

Paul
    Last edited by pgw; 07-08-2010 at 09:41 AM. Reason: 2nd grade issue again

When I had my Hopper II I seldom stood up to cast.

My main reason to stand up in that pram was to pee into a bottle. I didn't feel comfortable standing anywhere but dead center in the boat, and I can't really count on being able to pee accurately and forcefully enough to get it all past the gunwale, so I kept a (large mouth) plastic bottle in the battery compartment and would pee into that, then dump it and rinse it.

Maybe TMI, but I keep reading about people standing in prams, and peeing out of them, and at least on the Hopper II, I was never really comfortable doing either.

Quote Originally Posted by pgw View Post
    As a former builder (and maintenance man) of a wooden El Toro sailboat (Boy Scout Merit Badge Project in 1964) I have to say that I don't miss the wooden boat.

I have a Redwood Welding 8' drifter (really 7' 7") and after a TPL and a couple of Valcos, it's the best I've had.

One thing I observed in Black Cloud's beauty that I wish I had in the drifter (that I suggest you consider for your project) is the drain hole in the stern.

Your pattern appears to mimic the Redwood drifter with one exception and that is the oarlock mounts that are 3 inches higher than the gunwales (like the extensions on Black Cloud's)...I wish the ones on mine were a little higher (at least 2") to keep the oars off my knees...I have 2" spacers that I added to the oarlocks on my Clackacraft drift boat that now go back and forth between it and the Redwood Little Drifter.

Have fun..."Happpy Hand Tools"

Paul
    Early on I had considered the El Toro type shape, but the flat bottom is really where I want to be. My current plans are based on general dimensions of the Redwood, though I've heard that the Metalhead is more stable. You say you like the Drifter better than the Valco huh? Lots of guys love the Valco.

At current, I'm taking the Redwood and widening the bow, and removing some rocker. I'm going to use the seat fore and aft bulkheads to add rigidity to the sides and bottom vs. hanging the seat from the walls alone. Tying in the three sides REALLY minimize deflection and twist. This is rediculously clear from my paper models. The nose is still floppy but a flotation chamber, stiffening ribs, and some gusseting will address that.

I'll make sure to verify the ergonomics of rowing based on the geometry of my pontoon frame.

Why the drain hole? Can't you just tip it up on end and drain it? Can't utilize this while on the water right?

Thanks for the input!

_SHig

Shig it's cool to see the models you're making. This is fun to watch you develop your project.

James that is some f-i-n-e boat building you have there! Beautiful. Thanks for sharing the pics.
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!