Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SHig's Pram Build Thread

Default SHig's Pram Build Thread

Okay, well here goes. I need some place to document the process. From beginning to (hopefully) end. Who knows, I may pour 6 months into this and end up buying one, or maybe just sticking to inflatables?

Anyway, so far I've had my hands and tape on a Redwood boat. I'm hoping to get some time with a Metalhead this weekend, and others if the PramFest 2010 comes together as planned.

I've drafted up something close and a few revisions and made 1:12 scale paper models. Here're some photos so far...

As of now, I'm thinking I'll be doing some sort of Carbon/Glass/Kevlar composite with maybe thin plywood or foam core. Single seater, car topper, target weight of 40 lbs. Haven't done the math on the areas yet, but I think that I may be able to go lower while having the required rigidity and strength. We'll see.

I want to be able to row stillwater easily but outright speed isn't necessary. Stand with better than average stability, and be able to run some small moving water. Maybe a small electric or gas motor.

Some rocker but not so much as to sacrifice standing stability. If it doesn't glide on the river as well as a "mini-drifter" I'll live with that. Flat bottom for ease of build and stability, kevlar bottom for durability.

Does anyone out there build a high tech composite pram? I can't possibly be the first nutcase to consider it right? I know Spring Creek makes a fiberglass/kevlar jobber, but isn't it at its core a chopper gun "plus"? Not feather light by any means...

Anyway, feel free to chime it. Follow along. Point fingers and laugh. Just don't tell my wife about this or her suspicions of my madness will be confirmed and I'll never get to go fishing again!

_SHig

Very exciting.......

Ray Jensen of Endure Boats in Medford, OR mocked up my 17' jet boat hull first about a foot long from aluminum. It was pretty cool.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Let me know if you want an extra hand in building Shig, I would like to learn how to build one myself. Because if you don't teach me you know I will be asking for one.

I know I have plans for a plywood boat somewhere, I will look for them and if I find them I will get a copy made and give you a set.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Good luck Shig. Reminds me of the boat we made in highschool physics class out of cardboard and paper maché coating. We molded the front using a paper maché molding from our canoe and built on from there. Put on a nice enamel paint and a parafin wax coating on the bottom/sides and it floated all afternoon and we almost took the speed contest. It held two people easily.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

SHig, here is the one I built with 1/4" mahogany marine ply. I used an epoxy kevlar on the bottom.

James
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1513.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	1810  

Oh damn that's pretty! So how does she handle? Coming out for Prama-Palooza this Saturday?

What would you like to do differently next time?

What's it weigh?

How's standing and casting?

The coating on the bottom - is it the Duplicolor stuff? Or actual fabric and epoxy?

Thanks for the input!

_SHig
    Last edited by SHigSpeed; 07-07-2010 at 04:37 PM.

The next one I build will have more of a flat bottom and the sides will be 2" higher, mainly so the seat won't be so low. The coating is called COAT-IT from Tap Plastics. Weight is about 75lbs, 8'x4', fits in the bed of a truck. Unfortunatly, I can't make it this weekend, we have the Putah Creek Fundraiser. Next year this one might be raffled at the event.

James
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1519.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	1811   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1511.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	1812  

Quote Originally Posted by Black Cloud View Post
    The next one I build will have more of a flat bottom and the sides will be 2" higher, mainly so the seat won't be so low. The coating is called COAT-IT from Tap Plastics. Weight is about 75lbs, 8'x4', fits in the bed of a truck. Unfortunatly, I can't make it this weekend, we have the Putah Creek Fundraiser. Next year this one might be raffled at the event.

James
    Hmm... So the raised flat floor makes you squat more than sit?

Do you have plans picked out for the next boat already?

That'll make some raffle winner VERY happy...

_SHig

That is a really nice looking pram!

That wood pram makes me want to clean out the garage and quit work... Very nice!