Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DAVIS Lake 7/1-7-3

Where did these catfish come from? Did DFG do an official catfish plant after the poisoning? Or is this another back-woods redneck guerrilla planting?

_SHig

The catfish have been in the lake for quite a while. There have been all sorts of fish planted in Davis legally and illegally over the years. Coho's, Kings, Bass, Sunfish you name it. CADFG at one point wanted to turn Davis into a warm water fishery. Prior to the last rotenone treatment there were massive schools of catfish. The Pike killed the trout and the catfish flourished. The last summer prior to treatment I saw massive schools of catfish in 4-6 feet of water. They covered the points and I would paddle over hundreds of catfish that would scatter. CADFG expected the catfish would survive the rotenone treatment. They did. So did other species of fish.

Quote Originally Posted by SHigSpeed View Post
    Where did these catfish come from? Did DFG do an official catfish plant after the poisoning? Or is this another back-woods redneck guerrilla planting?

_SHig

What other species survived?

A few of my friends have fished off of jenkins recently and they have gotten into the sardines 12-14" trout. That is pretty bad for Davis lake. IF the bigger hold over fish have survived I would like to see them come into the shorline as they normally do every year busting the banks with pods of quality fish working. I haven't seen that. So for me that isn't very good davis lake fishing. I hope the nice trout that we normally see start to show up. Last time they nuked the lake we had tons of great fish and fishing 3 years after treatment. I figure 3 years after the cleaning we should have some real nice trout in davis. Maybe it is the weather and the fall will kick out some nice healthy FAT DAVIS lake fish.
    I haven't given up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Littletruckee View Post
    "THE UGLY. Well lack of fish is the problem. There was a trickle of damsels just the right amount for an early MAY scenario but now it is July 1st. Perfect amount to get fish interested and them being aggressively grabbing bugs. Problem is there just isn't many fish around. Fish should be popping up all through the coves from cow to fugawee but they aren't. CADFG needs to put some decent fish in this lake for the fall and future. The fish are few and far between and what is in this so called TROPHY TROUT lake is 14" and parasite and sore covered. Time for a new plant of decent quality eagle lake trout and some fish that can take this lake back to its quality fishery."

While this season has been challenging,I don't agree with this statement at all.I've been finding plenty of fish lately,just not in the the places one would normally hope to find them.I have given up on fishing damsels because the hatch has been spotty and the fish are few and far between.With that said we have been crushing them fishing midges in 10-11' of water.

There are lots of fish in the lake.I have been marking huge schools from 2-12' down in 18' of water out in front of Jenkins.I agree that the cookie cutters covered in copepods are getting old but it is what it is.I think a major problem that occured over the winter was the limits of 18-20"+ fish that were taken under the ice.A ton of fish were killed in this fashion.

Anyways ,I am sorry the lake isn't living up to your expectations.Maybe the fall will be better for you.

Jay
    Last edited by 1flyfisher; 07-04-2010 at 05:46 PM.

The catfish survived. They expected them to survive. I believe they expected the sunnies to also survive and What else survived has yet to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    What other species survived?

This is the best fish in my boat this year.23" 4lber taken on a midge.Most fish have been cookie cutters though with a 17-19" fish every once in a while.

As far as the catfish go,they have have been in the lake since I was a kid.The minnows being seen may be red ear sunfish.Catfish,sunfish,and possibly large mouth bass have survived treatment.I am not sure if there are lahontan redsides or not.Must do further research.

Jay
    [url]www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]www.jayclarkflyfishing.com[/url]
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

"Offering guided fly fishing trips for trout in the Northern Sierra and beyond"

That's a nice fish. Too bad there aren't more of them around cruising the shoreline and working or rising anywhere like would normally be the case this time of year. Maybe they will show up this week as things begin to warm up.
    On a regular year we would be banging fish on damsels in that size left and right.
    Now we have 12-14 parasite covered sardines.
    Last edited by 1flyfisher; 07-04-2010 at 07:59 PM.

I'm going to head back out later this week.
    I'm not ready to throw in the towel.
    Plus it is just nice to be out there.
    Afternoons were beautiful lately.

High water years and conditions like this I have found motor boat caddis coming off in july once the weed beds grow in and channel up. I saw one bug the other day. Maybe I'll get lucky again.