Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone fish the ponds on the north side of Natomas

Default Anyone fish the ponds on the north side of Natomas

I am looking for some new bass ponds and I noticed on google that there are ponds on the north side of Lake Natomas. I was thinking of kicking across the lake in my float tube then hitting the ponds right there, but then it looks like if I cross the bike trail there are more ponds.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, I am thinking of heading there today after work.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

I checked those out again 2 weeks ago. Same situation as last year. A few hundred spawning carp within casting range up to 20 lbs in the same cove and still didn't want to eat. I picked up 3 or 4 sunfish and 1 small bass. The whole area is very shallow, like maybe 4 feet at the deepest. I've heard tales of big fish a few years ago, but I'm not sure that they are in there with the current water levels. A good place to park is at the intersection of Sunset and Maine, near the riding stables. It's about a 1/2 mile or so to the first "pond". There are several areas to fish, last year I took my tube back there and cast at the carp for a few hours, same situation. Now if you go and find out what those guys will eat, let me know.

Further up the lake, under the bridge and towards the prison, I have seen large bass, probably smallmouth, in the rocks. That's on my list in high summer if the lake temp ever gets warmer.
    Itchin' for a fishin'

Thanks for the info Ted.

Well I decided to go to some private water I have access to instead of Natomas. I was hoping for bigger and better fish. As usual I was not disappointed. Get plenty of subsurface fish that put a serious bend in a 5 weight, but just could not get a top water bite to stick. Had 4 blow ups but none stuck, oh well no big deal. But I also caught my smallest bass ever, poor little guy took to big of a fly, but he did swim away.

Here are just a couple of the fish.

You should put that little guy in an aquarium!

_SHig

A. That's how you rig your bait??

B. If he swam away, that just proves LMB are brainless fish????
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Nice Scott. Did that fella fight enough at first to make you think you had a fish hooked up? Or find out when you got your line in?

not sure how I missed this thread but when I saw 'carp' I decided that I am going in!!!

Lake Natomas should be fished more by fly fishers.

About 20 years ago on summer we fished it at sunset for Rainbows feeding on the giant Hex hatch.

Years ago Duane Calkins fished it a lot from a small pram. I will contact him.

For about 50 years there have been photos of giant hatchery monster Rainbow trout in the news paper sports section.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Lake Natomas should be fished more by fly fishers.

About 20 years ago on summer we fished it at sunset for Rainbows feeding on the giant Hex hatch.

Years ago Duane Calkins fished it a lot from a small pram. I will contact him.

For about 50 years there have been photos of giant hatchery monster Rainbow trout in the news paper sports section.
    I fished Lake Natomas only a couple of times. The flow seems to be too strong for me to fight. I will try something else the next time attempt to fish this lake & I will definitely checkout those ponds.