Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More success at Davis Lake in Nor Cal

I saw lots of mid to high 60s when I was up there two weeks ago, so I have no trouble believing it's up to 70 now. In fact today was another hot day and all this week air temps are supposed pretty warm too. I can't see that doing anything but making the water temperature climb even higher than it is now.
    Last edited by michaeln; 06-29-2010 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Littletruckee View Post
    Yes, Davis suffers from algae blooms.While not as bad(that I have experienced) as Heenan or Crowley they do happen.

Here is a link to an interesting study about water temps and lethality for rainbow trout.

http://www.70degreepledge.org/APDEA_...quirements.pdf

IMNSHO, the water temps are getting to high to safely catch and release trout.Another week or two and it will be over until the fall.

Jay
    Jay thanks for posting that web. site 70 degree pledge....there's some good info. in all that....correct me if I'm wrong....are they talking about a constant temp. from the surface to the bottom of the lake ??????.....ideal temp. for rainbow is 20 c (less than 66 f), and the kill temp is 29 c (84.5 f)....also with the extra waten in Davis this year (i haven't been up there this spring) is there more shallow water flats to heat up?????? would i be correct in saying that when the water temp. goes up the trout will move off the flats to cooler waters....would it be safer to fish for them in the deeper, colder water???? sorry for all the questions

Even the deeper, cooler water is going to be warmer on top, and on top is where most of the fight with a trout will take place.

Quote Originally Posted by SHigSpeed View Post
    June average temps so far has only been 58
    Where did you get that data from?

Quote Originally Posted by gene goss View Post
    Jay thanks for posting that web. site 70 degree pledge....there's some good info. in all that....correct me if I'm wrong....are they talking about a constant temp. from the surface to the bottom of the lake ??????.....ideal temp. for rainbow is 20 c (less than 66 f), and the kill temp is 29 c (84.5 f)....also with the extra waten in Davis this year (i haven't been up there this spring) is there more shallow water flats to heat up?????? would i be correct in saying that when the water temp. goes up the trout will move off the flats to cooler waters....would it be safer to fish for them in the deeper, colder water???? sorry for all the questions

Yes there are more shallow flats to heat up this year.People can (and will) fish deeper but bringing the fish into warmer water will cause harm in my opinion.The report also said that some ELT have shown a higher tolerance for warmer water.

Gotta run,off to the lake for a trip.I'll report on current water temps tonight.

Jay
    [url]www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]www.jayclarkflyfishing.com[/url]
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

"Offering guided fly fishing trips for trout in the Northern Sierra and beyond"

Quote Originally Posted by michaeln View Post
    Where did you get that data from?
    http://www.wunderground.com/weathers...raphspan=month

_SHig

Ah, OK. I thought you were talking about average WATER temperatures, and I didn't know that was available anywhere.

Default Davis Lake

I read Don Rosthma's report about the damsels starting and the great fishing expected right now. I also read that the temps are too high now and catch and release would be lethal to the fish. I'm having a hard time deciding between good fishing and harming the fish. Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by B Kane View Post
    I read Don Rosthma's report about the damsels starting and the great fishing expected right now. I also read that the temps are too high now and catch and release would be lethal to the fish. I'm having a hard time deciding between good fishing and harming the fish. Any advice?
    I personally would go and catch a fish or two and if they are having a hard time swimming away then I would stop fishing, but if the fish are having no problem swimming away and are very active then fish on.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by B Kane View Post
    You can catch 5, enjoy the fight, admire the colors and fitness of the fish, them bonk 'em and eat them that night.
    Campfire trout are always the best.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.