Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More success at Davis Lake in Nor Cal

Don Rotsma has an encouraging report on his site:

http://www.flyfishwithdon.com/fishreport.htm

While the damsels may start coming off, in my opinion the water will be TOO warm to safely catch and release trout.70 degree surface temps are already too warm.I have a couple of trips this week but I will be done guiding the lake until the fall when temps come back down.Bugs or no bugs...

As far as the copopods are concerned they suck and I would like to know why they are infecting fish in Prosser this year as well.Coming from the hatchery?Come on DFG give us the real answers and not what you think we may want to hear!End rant...

Jay
    [url]www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]www.jayclarkflyfishing.com[/url]
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

"Offering guided fly fishing trips for trout in the Northern Sierra and beyond"

I have no plans to return to Davis until the fall either. I agree with you about the water temps being too warm for safe C&R.

Last year where we fish where the river (Mccloud) flows into Shasta, a lot of those fish had copepods as well. Never saw those until a few years ago in that area as well but fish were heavily infested in my opinion.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

For many years the place that was famous for "ugly looking fish" was Klamath Lake in southern Oregon.

Sad to hear they are getting into more fisheries now.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

What's the current water temp at Davis?

_SHig

Quote Originally Posted by SHigSpeed View Post
    What's the current water temp at Davis?

_SHig
    According to Don as of yesterday it was 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

The P H and (dissolved oxygen) is the killer...a surface temp. of 70 degrees is high (what time of the day was that measured)....lets say that for every ft. of water depths, the temp. goes down 1 degree (5ft. of water 65 degree)...(10ft. of water 60 degree)....trout will go to the surface for food then back down to the cooler water...so what does all this mean....the surface temp. in the morning will increase 1 degree for every hr. of sunlight....if your going to fish, start at sunrise (6am), and stop fishing the surface by 10am....after 10am move toooooo the deep channels between the weed beds (8ft to 10ft) of water.....by noon you should stop fishing...right at sundown there use to be a blood midge hatch, that we would fish....if your going to fish use a heavy tippet (8lbs)...barbless hooks....keep the fish in the water (no pictures)....this not the time to see how many fish you can catch....slow down and enjoy....does anyone know if Davis Lake ever had a algae bloom?????

Yes, Davis suffers from algae blooms.While not as bad(that I have experienced) as Heenan or Crowley they do happen.

Here is a link to an interesting study about water temps and lethality for rainbow trout.

http://www.70degreepledge.org/APDEA_...quirements.pdf

IMNSHO, the water temps are getting to high to safely catch and release trout.Another week or two and it will be over until the fall.

Jay
    [url]www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]www.jayclarkflyfishing.com[/url]
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

"Offering guided fly fishing trips for trout in the Northern Sierra and beyond"

Quote Originally Posted by michaeln View Post
    According to Don as of yesterday it was 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
    That's very surprising! June average temps so far has only been 58 and May was 45. I know that radiation heating from sunlight is a big part of the heating of the water but wow! Is the water murky? This'll make it warm faster...

_SHig