Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tipping your guide

Cool Taxation....

After putting in 37.5 years in public service (most in taxing agencies, I can say that Amoeba is, generally, correct.

If you intend to tip in cash, there's nothing wrong or illegal involved. In the case of independents, it's the responsibility of the individual to report/pay applicable taxes. Other methods are used where employers (restaurants, bars, etc.) to report/pay taxes. Nothing different than reporting/paying any personal income for tax purposes. If you choose not to comply, you take your chances on being audited and having the applicable taxes, penalties and interest assessed. A painful experience.

A word to the wise appears to be in order. If you fail to comply or encourage others not to comply with applicable tax laws, don't talk about it on a public forum (like a bulletin Board) and remember, ignorance is no excuse for failure to comply.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    After putting in 37.5 years in public service (most in taxing agencies, I can say that Amoeba is, generally, correct.

If you intend to tip in cash, there's nothing wrong or illegal involved. In the case of independents, it's the responsibility of the individual to report/pay applicable taxes. Other methods are used where employers (restaurants, bars, etc.) to report/pay taxes. Nothing different than reporting/paying any personal income for tax purposes. If you choose not to comply, you take your chances on being audited and having the applicable taxes, penalties and interest assessed. A painful experience.

A word to the wise appears to be in order. If you fail to comply or encourage others not to comply with applicable tax laws, don't talk about it on a public forum (like a bulletin Board) and remember, ignorance is no excuse for failure to comply.
    I got an idea! Just make it easy for the guide and don't tip him. At least there's no way he can get audited. In all seriousness though, I don't think a guide should expect a tip. It's not the same as waiters or deckhands on party boats. A guide is getting paid directly by the customer while waiters and deckhands are on salary. Someone said tipping helps for gas and other expenses... Isn't that the whole reason why we pay over 300 bucks for a trip.

Based on my experience, I can usually tell when a guide isn’t working very hard on my behalf (which is rare) but I find it far more difficult to figure a tip value when they are, which is why I most frequently simply depend on the usual and customary 20% figure. Putting aside percentages and the question of whether to tip or not, I have another question. Given that most of the time I’m splitting a guide’s trip fee with a partner, the quandary I’ve always faced is how much does each angler tip. If it’s a $350 trip, than 20% would be $70. Does each angler then pony up $35? Or does each angler come up with a full 20%, or somewhere in between, such as WJORG, who tips $50, which is about 15%? Two diners at a restaurant each usually pay half of the table’s total tip; they don’t each pay 20%. But what’s fair for a competent guide, independent or not, if two anglers are involved?

Incidentally, “Sammy,” if you’re still looking for one, Frank Pisciotta (530-587-7333) is a top-flight guide in the Tahoe-Truckee area.

I've gotten nice tips 30%+ from guys who only got a grab or two, but learned a ton, and were happy. Also had guys get into pigs and didn't feel the need. Same goes for rescued hats and thwarted drownings. I figure the tip takes care of itself.
    I believe there is a misconception though, I think you pay a guide for "all" the time the he is on the water, trackin bugs, fish and flows, not just for the one day you go out with him.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 06-21-2010 at 07:59 PM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

Quote Originally Posted by bigfly View Post
    I believe there is a misconception though, I think you pay a guide for "all" the time the he is on the water, trackin bugs, fish and flows, not just for the one day you go out with him.

Jim
    So your saying that a guide doesn't fish for the enjoyment? He is only fishing to learn the water for his clients? I have to disagree.

Can some of this energy go into explaining the advantages of the switch rod? This pony is hurt'n.
    The more people I meet, the more I love my dog.

Team Stinky Duck

rather than using the restaurant/ 20% model for tipping maybe we should tip like we do strippers...cary a wad of singles and every time the guide does something spectacular we drop a couple bills in his waders

Buying 4 license from now on via Clarkston, WA

Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    rather than using the restaurant/ 20% model for tipping maybe we should tip like we do strippers...cary a wad of singles and every time the guide does something spectacular we drop a couple bills in his waders
    Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are!

me
    Not unless round's funny!?!

Dawg, Dude, I love it!!!!! You just changed my tipping approach for guides!!!! Now, I'll have to stock up on a ton of singles before I go to AK in a few months!!!! Man, my wallets gonna be fat!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Laskodi View Post
    Dawg, Dude, I love it!!!!! You just changed my tipping approach for guides!!!! Now, I'll have to stock up on a ton of singles before I go to AK in a few months!!!! Man, my wallets gonna be fat!!!!

Be careful you guide might get the wrong idea about that and start giving you a lap dance.
    you have to rememeber they havent been in the bush for several months. LOL