Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipping your guide

Default Tipping your guide

How much do you all tip? let's say for 6-8 hours of guiding done well.

Default tip

20% but sometimes more. If I fish with a guide in a powerboat I keep gas prices in mind too.
    I don't get the chance to go very often but when I do I don't mind paying for a good day on the water.

I think that 20 percent is about right. Another factor to consider is the guide independent or working out of a shop. A shop will take a percentage.
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

Maybe I fishe with cheap bums but I have always been the bigger tipper with $50. Now that you made me do the math, thats barely above 10% if the day costs $475 like you see with some of these guys.

So tell me how much ya'll tip the "massuese?" : )

Default Independent vs. shop guides' tipping

I'm an independent fly fishing guide. Are you implying that you will tip an independent guide less than a shop guide?

Frank R. Pisciotta

Good thread... I've only been on one guided trip... and well... I owe somebody some money.

Default Independent vs. shop guides' tipping

Frank, absolutely not. But I guided for about thirty years and work out of lodges and for shops and as an independent. The times that I worked for lodges the only way we got ahead was by tips.

As an independent I could set my own profit margin and did not have to depend on tips.
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

I have never believed in percentage tipping. I will tip what I feel is fair depending on the service I am given. That can range from nothing to $100 or more. I have yet to not tip a guide, but if you are a jerk and treat me with no respect I have no problem not tipping at all. And I am an easy client to please.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

I do a lot of guided trips, and my tipping percentage is all over the place from nothing (only has happened twice) to over 30% (has only happened a few times). However, most of the time, the tip I give is in the 10-15% range. The amount of tip I give is dependent on how hard the guide works, not on the amount of fish I catch. If he's fishing me 12-13 hours a day (even on a poor day), they will get a bigger tip than if they only fish me eight (even on a good day). One guide only fished me six hours, and got no tip (and he was pissed!) because I felt that he did not work hard enough for a day's pay to deserve extra. I do not tip differently if you are an independent vs an outfitter, even though I realize the outfitter does take a portion of the fee from the guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    I have never believed in percentage tipping. I will tip what I feel is fair depending on the service I am given. That can range from nothing to $100 or more. I have yet to not tip a guide, but if you are a jerk and treat me with no respect I have no problem not tipping at all. And I am an easy client to please.
    Couldnt have said it any better.