Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frenchmans on fire

Ocean...the trout from Frenchman are the best I've ever eaten. That being said, I just started eating trout again about a year ago after deciding I didn't like 'em. I've been supplying an older gentleman friend of mine with trout from Frenchman for maybe six or seven years. He can't get out and thoroughly enjoys trout, but he won't eat them from any where but Frenchman. A year ago football season, I brought him two bows from Frenchman...he only wanted one, so I cooked the second one up at a tailgate party and my friends went nuts! I've been keeping a couple now and then ever since...they are excellent! We ate four of those caught Sunday, Monday night (my daughter, son in law, grandaughter, war department and I...terrific eating fish.

Waynesyn, good points, bump.

RFT

Quote Originally Posted by Reno Flytyer View Post
    Ocean...the trout from Frenchman are the best I've ever eaten. That being said, I just started eating trout again about a year ago after deciding I didn't like 'em. I've been supplying an older gentleman friend of mine with trout from Frenchman for maybe six or seven years. He can't get out and thoroughly enjoys trout, but he won't eat them from any where but Frenchman. A year ago football season, I brought him two bows from Frenchman...he only wanted one, so I cooked the second one up at a tailgate party and my friends went nuts! I've been keeping a couple now and then ever since...they are excellent! We ate four of those caught Sunday, Monday night (my daughter, son in law, grandaughter, war department and I...terrific eating fish.

Waynesyn, good points, bump.

RFT
    Great to hear! I think most of us started trout fishing as young'ns and always brought some home to consume.... The ones from Grant Lake in June Lake Loop were always pretty nice too as are the ones from Eagle Lake as well. Cherry Lake fish weren't too shabby either way back in the 70's and then there were those kamloops from Lobdell back in the mid 90's.. Those were the best smoked trout I've ever consumed! I'd love to see Kamloops stocked in Davis and Frenchman if Eagle Lake trout weren't an option.

Gee, I don't think we've ever had a thread on this forum regarding the best eating trout in CA?

Glad to read your report too.

Lolz, I love "reports" like this. The best I've EVER done was 25 fish in 1 1/2 hours. After that I lost count.
    It was a fall night at Butt Lake in 1995 or 6 (the winter they tore down the dam). Most of the fish were in the 5-6 lbs range, some up to 10. It took a little bit to bring those hogs in.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

I would love to have my customers that are new to fly fishing get into a situation that is a wide open bight so they can catch some fish.

For me now I am just happy with a few fish in a day now.

Maybe a 15# Steelhead on a dry fly on the Dean River.

A 10# Bonefish wading some white sand flat somewhere in the tropics.

Then a 30# Tarpon on an 8 weight rod in 4 feet of clear water in the Yucatan.

A 18" wild Rainbow trout on a small dry on a spring creek?

A 5# Large Mouth Bass on a top water bug in the Delta.

A 12# Striper on a Pole Dancer in the Lower American River.

A 18# Roosterfish on a Pole Dance out of La Paz.

A 12# Peacock Bass on an Airhead in Brazil

You can have those 100 fish days.............
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I'm with you. I catch 2 fish on Eagle Lake I had a great day. Anything more is gravy. I have had huge buckets and big numbers but those are rare days. They don't come often.
    I have had plenty of days with nothing.
    I read so much BS reports on Davis, Frenchmans, Eagle it is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene View Post
    I would love to have my customers that are new to fly fishing get into a situation that is a wide open bight so they can catch some fish.

For me now I am just happy with a few fish in a day now.

Maybe a 15# Steelhead on a dry fly on the Dean River.

A 10# Bonefish wading some white sand flat somewhere in the tropics.

Then a 30# Tarpon on an 8 weight rod in 4 feet of clear water in the Yucatan.

A 18" wild Rainbow trout on a small dry on a spring creek?

A 5# Large Mouth Bass on a top water bug in the Delta.

A 12# Striper on a Pole Dancer in the Lower American River.

A 18# Roosterfish on a Pole Dance out of La Paz.

A 12# Peacock Bass on an Airhead in Brazil

You can have those 100 fish days.............

+1 Bill. That one night at Butt Valley was the only one like it since I started fishing it in 1987. It was awesome, but after an hour and a half.......I got bored. I went back to camp and had a few shots.
    Last week I fished the NFF, only got one fish, but seeing that take is still fresh in my mind. It brought back that old excitement I felt as a kid.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

+2 Bill. I like getting into 'em as much as the next guy but I think I get the most excitement out of those 1st trips of the season when I get that 1st decent topwater take by a good bass. All it takes is one to re-new and re-live all the excitement that drew me to that kind of fishing in the 1st place and my day is made whether I catch another or not.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default Frenchman's smoldering

I guess I can't say it's on fire but it's still pretty warm on a certain lake near Portola. My two nine year old godsons fished there last Sat. in a huge wind for six hours and on their own landed 45 fish. They had a blast. Thanks for all the interest in the last report. Love to see the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by B Kane View Post
    I guess I can't say it's on fire but it's still pretty warm on a certain lake near Portola. My two nine year old godsons fished there last Sat. in a huge wind for six hours and on their own landed 45 fish. They had a blast. Thanks for all the interest in the last report. Love to see the responses.
    That's called trolling, and you did quite well.

Default I believe that's a double for my boys

I'm not sure what trolling is but here's a shot of the boys with a double.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	get-attachment[2].jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	1704