Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frenchmans on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post
    I'm kind of the opposite of you Shig. I purposely lose count. For me competition detracts from the fun.

"How many did you catch?"

"A couple."

"Did okay."

"Caught my share."

"Slayed 'em."

Those are really all the numbers I've ever needed. Unless I was keeping, then you better believe I was keeping count.

Ed
    Ed,

I only count because I log all stats in my fishing database - not out of any anatomical comparison contest. I generally never display my kill stickers publicly. Remember, I'm an engineer. I don't operate on qualitative analysis (except when I'm protecting my honey hole!) :^)

I guess the worst offenders are guys who lose count combined with forum glory seekers (who spread tales of epic heroism). Yes, I use a measure net as well so as not to be guilty of the 20" trout syndrome.

_SHig
    Last edited by SHigSpeed; 06-08-2010 at 09:10 PM.

I think taking 3 minutes to land most California 12 inch trout is way too much time. Even 14-17 inch trout. With 4x or 5X tippet, almost all trout at Frenchman can be landed in well under a minute. More likely under 30 seconds. This is good for the fish and there is little reviving needed.
    This is a very interesting thread. There are guys out there that keep count and guys that don't. The guys that I know that keep count do so with a counter. When they tell me how many fish they got I believe them. I have no problem with either. For me, when I get a "fishing report" from friends I prefer to hear how many fish they caught so I can decide whether to fish there or not. If I hear "I had a great time" or "I caught my share" or "I did OK" or "the fish are there", to me, that is not enough information to decide if I want to go or not. For some people a great day is getting 10 trout. So when I hear numbers it helps me analyze the fishing better.
    I'm sure I will get an earful from this board but that's MHO.
    WS

Good insight waynesyn. In my Bass Tourney wanna-be days, numbers were everything and when I started thinking I had a "bad day" because I only caught 10 fish, I had to start thinking about why I was fishing. Now, I am happy catching one 10" bluegill in my kayak on the fly.
    Have a good time, all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by waynesyn View Post
    I think taking 3 minutes to land most California 12 inch trout is way too much time. Even 14-17 inch trout. With 4x or 5X tippet, almost all trout at Frenchman can be landed in well under a minute. More likely under 30 seconds. This is good for the fish and there is little reviving needed.
    This is a very interesting thread. There are guys out there that keep count and guys that don't. The guys that I know that keep count do so with a counter. When they tell me how many fish they got I believe them. I have no problem with either. For me, when I get a "fishing report" from friends I prefer to hear how many fish they caught so I can decide whether to fish there or not. If I hear "I had a great time" or "I caught my share" or "I did OK" or "the fish are there", to me, that is not enough information to decide if I want to go or not. For some people a great day is getting 10 trout. So when I hear numbers it helps me analyze the fishing better.
    I'm sure I will get an earful from this board but that's MHO.
    WS

Let me preface by saying that it's possible...... And, I agree with the assessment of time needed to land a trout of 17 inches.... Grab, hop it into the rubber net, barbless hook falls out and it swims away. A 3 minute battle for a 17 inch trout at Frenchmans is not good.

I personally think that reports of "135 fish" are of no service to forums like this whatsoever. Such reports only create doubt, feelings of inadequacy, envy and set unrealistic expectations in most cases. They may also be false or their intent malicious as to bring unwanted or undeserved attention to a location or even a person.

Let me start again by saying that I'd rather know the skill sets required for such a successful day rather than the actual fish count.... Fish count is moot if I don't have the skills required, etc.

With that said, such reports are helpful IF you personally know the source of the information, know how they typically fish and how you stack up to that person's skill sets.... For example, if person A typically catches 70% of what person B typically catches, all other things being equal, which, when it comes to fishing, is never the case, then you can deduct how you would've done had you been there, etc. Then, you can make a decision to go or not go, which is what waynesyn was refering to, I believe.

BTW, does anyone know how those trout taste out of Frenchmans? Taking home a limit of 5 certainly sounds like it isn't going to hurt. I sure like a peppery seasoned BBQ/smoked trout.
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 06-09-2010 at 01:57 PM.

Look guys, I said 3 minutes but that was from one hookup to the next, not fighting the fish for 3 minutes.

But if you guys want to believe this 135 fish story, have at it. I don't believe it.

is this the same guy that was fishing the Truckee last week?

Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    is this the same guy that was fishing the Truckee last week?
    Are all the fish gone?

This is actually an interesting discussion. The three minute/fish assessment may vary but you guys have to judge this in a real world situation. If you stayed in the same spot and did nothing but catch one fish after another, you could easily catch 300 fish in a day. But the reality is...

1. Fish generally dont let you pick on them in one spot all day. So moving is a necessity, that equals time. If in a float tube or pontoon, maybe quite a bit of time.

2. Most flies are not going to last for more than 20ish fish. Tippets get beat up, etc. = time

3. Everyones gotta pee. Some of us even have to do the "#2". If your in waders and a float tube...= time. (dont let your mind wander on that one....thats just gross!)

4. most of us get a little hungry and thirsty. Did you leave your lunch in the car? = time

Theres so many factors that are going to impede on true fishing time. We're not talking about fighting a fish for 3 minutes. Its an average.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeln View Post
    Look guys, I said 3 minutes but that was from one hookup to the next, not fighting the fish for 3 minutes.

But if you guys want to believe this 135 fish story, have at it. I don't believe it.
    I'm not defending the person, etc. But, I will say it's possible tho....

In my days as a single man with no kids, a day's fishing at, lets say a Davis Lake, would be all available daylight! Which today could be as much as 14+ hours?!

So, 12 hours of fishing at 9 fish an hour is 108...... That's not too hard to believe based on who I know personally.

Again, I'm defending the plausibility, not the actual fish counting perception, etc. I don't enjoy that aspect any longer and fish for far more other reasons..... when I get to or want to actually fish.... <grin>

Was at Frenchman's yesterday for a couple of hours. Only got one bump. Fished the upper end. I was there late, like 11:00am or so. Some others said it was good earlier. The area I fished was very open, when in a tube I find I like either small lakes or smallish coves where I can seciton it off. Might try the other end next time, seems like more coves. Last time I fished Snallygaster Pt. or something like that, and got 4-5 nice fish, I liked that area as it is a cove type of place. Wind was up and I got a bit tired and bored so I went out exploring to other places.

Was at Indian Creek Res. on Monday, got 4 hits but was asleep or to slow or the barbless hook didn't set. But did manage to get one to net. Nice fish, maybe 18 in or so. Strong. The wind started to come up strong. Fished for about 5 hours.

I know you can catch fish (135) especially that size. With barbless, the hook comes out so easy, then back out and bang, fish on, surf em in so the little fish don't get to messed up, don't touch em and back out real fast.

Some days it (the fishing/catching) is really on.

My two cents.