Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no love for salmon

Default no love for salmon

http://mobile.sfgate.com/sfchron/db_...tguid=ewmICglN

"(05-25) 22:58 PDT Fresno, Calif. (AP) --

Central California farmers won more water for their parched fields Tuesday when a federal judge temporarily loosened pumping limits meant to protect native salmon.

Attorneys for some of the nation's largest farms and Southern California cities had asked for a preliminary injunction that would lift a set of water restrictions in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta through mid-June.

The pumping limits were put in place to protect threatened salmon, steelhead and other fish as they swim through the freshwater delta into the Pacific Ocean. But farmers argued the cutbacks caused millions of dollars in crop losses and other environmental damage.

After hearing hours of testimony Tuesday, U.S. District Judge Oliver Wanger lifted the restrictions for three weeks, freeing up extra water supplies growers said would bring acres of melons, lettuce and other crops back into production in time for the summer harvest.

"I could not be more thrilled," said Tom Birmingham, general manager and general counsel to the Westlands Water District, whose members include some of the giants of agribusiness."

It really bothers me that any fisherman could praise Tom Birmingham by saying:

"Tom Birmingham, the CEO of Westlands, is an ardent fly fisherman and has directed us to reduce the number of anglers/guests/club members on the Bollibokka portion of the McCloud in order to improve the fishing and preserve both the quality of the experience and the well-being of the fishery. It would be impossible to misinterpret or question those motives. Certainly profit is not the incentive. That someone in his position would take the interest that he has shown in Bollibokka and the McCloud says volumes. His devotion to the McCloud has lead me to seriously question the criticism of WWD on other issues."

Anyone want to name the prominent fisherman who typed these words?
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

MIKE MICHALAK...i will say it withou thinking twice...

ding ding ding we have a winner
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

A good buddy(a fly retailer employee)
    of was invited by longtime Bollibokka guests to fish/help them up there. I pointed out he had an opportunity to make a strong statement to the guys who invited him...

We'll see if he has the testicular fortitude.

Hes your buddy too Little Striper.
    Last edited by wjorg; 05-31-2010 at 12:19 PM.

Bollibakka sounds like a rich man's playground. I've never been there, but from what it sounds like it is just an exclusive place to flyfish. Limiting the number of guests and claiming that is conservation/preservation is pretty patronizing. To me, it sounds like a member at a private golf course wanting to keep the riff raff out. I will never go there as long as Westlands has anything to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by trinity View Post
    Bollibakka sounds like a rich man's playground. I've never been there, but from what it sounds like it is just an exclusive place to flyfish. Limiting the number of guests and claiming that is conservation/preservation is pretty patronizing. To me, it sounds like a member at a private golf course wanting to keep the riff raff out. I will never go there as long as Westlands has anything to do with it.
    and i will never give a dime to the fly shop as long as they are in bed with westlands

Default Unethical Business Practices Continues......

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Revel View Post
    http://mobile.sfgate.com/sfchron/db_...tguid=ewmICglN

"(05-25) 22:58 PDT Fresno, Calif. (AP) --

Central California farmers won more water for their parched fields Tuesday when a federal judge temporarily loosened pumping limits meant to protect native salmon.

Attorneys for some of the nation's largest farms and Southern California cities had asked for a preliminary injunction that would lift a set of water restrictions in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta through mid-June.

The pumping limits were put in place to protect threatened salmon, steelhead and other fish as they swim through the freshwater delta into the Pacific Ocean. But farmers argued the cutbacks caused millions of dollars in crop losses and other environmental damage.

After hearing hours of testimony Tuesday, U.S. District Judge Oliver Wanger lifted the restrictions for three weeks, freeing up extra water supplies growers said would bring acres of melons, lettuce and other crops back into production in time for the summer harvest.

"I could not be more thrilled," said Tom Birmingham, general manager and general counsel to the Westlands Water District, whose members include some of the giants of agribusiness."

It really bothers me that any fisherman could praise Tom Birmingham by saying:

"Tom Birmingham, the CEO of Westlands, is an ardent fly fisherman and has directed us to reduce the number of anglers/guests/club members on the Bollibokka portion of the McCloud in order to improve the fishing and preserve both the quality of the experience and the well-being of the fishery. It would be impossible to misinterpret or question those motives. Certainly profit is not the incentive. That someone in his position would take the interest that he has shown in Bollibokka and the McCloud says volumes. His devotion to the McCloud has lead me to seriously question the criticism of WWD on other issues."

Anyone want to name the prominent fisherman who typed these words?
    What?!

Okay, 3 million smolt are poured into the American River just in time for the pumps to increase to 5K. Combined with the gates at the Moke and lack of screens at Georgiana and viola! 3 million smolt flushed southward!

Great timing.... Of course, good old Lester Snow(job) offers no support to the very agency that he oversees..... It has to be horrible to work for an agency or company when the 'management' is not really on your side....

So, Tom B. has grave concern for a few miles of extremely private water and fish, while WWD benefits from another screwing of the publicly funded fisheries.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    What?!

So, Tom B. has grave concern for a few miles of extremely private water and fish, while WWD benefits from another screwing of the publicly funded fisheries.
    keep in mind the entire reason for purcasing that stretch of the Mcloud was to reduce the number of stakeholders that would fight the raising of shasta dam....they fully intend to flood that section of river

Less anglers fishing = less be people who could give a damn when it floods. Both the Fishers (in the forbes top 20) and the Hearst family have property on the Cloud. Hopefully they have enough money to fight this thing.

The larger dam will allow CA to cut flow off to the lower sac while they concrete the bottom and sides.

Note* when marin is on water rationing folks in LA are spraying down there driveways with no concept of where water comes from.
    Fish when you can.......Cast when when you cant!

Default WWD

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeRevel View Post
    Less anglers fishing = less be people who could give a damn when it floods. Both the Fishers (in the forbes top 20) and the Hearst family have property on the Cloud. Hopefully they have enough money to fight this thing.
    Wasn't it the Hearst Family that sold Bollibokka to WWD ?
    Brian Endlich