Thread: Gear Rental?

Default Gear Rental?

Has anyone ever rented gear when going to a place far away....where they may get to fish a little but not all the time.....and you wanted to avoid carryin the rod on the airline?

I am thinking of renting gear for my trip to Martha's Vineyard (if I can find a place that does that) because I will only have a few days to fish and there are other parts of the trip I won't need the rod so it will just be a piece of luggage.

If you have rented equipment what has been the typical daily fee and what has been the quality?

Thanks

Got a 4 piece rod? I always throw a 5 wt 4 piece rod, a reel, and a box of flies (minor research required) in the bottom of my duffel on any trip where I might find some water. I can always get some tippet and the mandatory local hot flies when I get a licence. I do know a guy who runs a fly shop...they rent decent quality gear but only to clients they are guiding.

Default Different than usual...

Thanks for that but this is different than usual for me as my only 10wt rod is much longer than the 5wt four piece I carry (just about everywhere).
    With my waders (recommended by the local guides) and other gear I am already pushing the luggage limits.....of course the new luggage limits my mean a wallet too large!

If I do any fishing travels in the states, I'll usually send it UPS to my destination. As for rentals, some shops do have that program but a lot of the times, they don't rig up the gear right. I'm not saying all shops are like this, but I had a guy here in Baja who had a rental and had the WF put on backwards

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Murakoshi View Post
    If I do any fishing travels in the states, I'll usually send it UPS to my destination. As for rentals, some shops do have that program but a lot of the times, they don't rig up the gear right. I'm not saying all shops are like this, but I had a guy here in Baja who had a rental and had the WF put on backwards

Jay
    So would that be a WB line?
    I had a one off business trip to a small tropical island back in 2004 - and I did not have an appropriate travel rod for the plentiful Trevally in the area. I just jumped on ebay and got the correct weight rod for a mere $150 and had it shipped to the island ahead of me...to the hotel. I called them to let them know it was coming. It was there when I arrived. The rest of the needed gear fit in my luggage. This inexpensie rod was quite serviceable for the time I spent fishing. I UPSed it home and sold it on ebay for $10 more than I bought it for. All in all probably cost me less than a rental would have and it worked out great.