Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So eh, where's Caltrout?

The TU California Council is also very involved. Their website isn't quite as detailed but here's a link to some of the information:
    http://www.tucalifornia.org/TUCA_CMS...ropower-reform
    "Someone just back of you while you are fishing is just as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you are writing a letter to your girl." - E. Hemingway

Thanks again. I have had that one book marked for quite a while and visit it on a regular basis. You are right. I think the CalTrout site seems a little more thorough and nicely detailed.

Default Re-Lic

I was in a group, chaired by Bob Biacchi, fighting proposed "whitewater" releases that were a direct result of FERC Re-Lic activities. The entire time, Cal Trout remained on the fence and would not take action on the plans for the North Feather. So now, we have whitewater flows for the first weekend of each month there, beginning in May, ending in October, washing the fish food and foliage into the afterbays and such. I believe CDFG is studying the effects of this prototype program, and last I heard, it was not looking good for the whitewater guys. We were also sensing capitulation from Cal-Trout on the Pitt. We also circulated petitions at Kiene's and Flyfishing Specialties, both of which were lost at the stores due mainly to lack of interest. Our fear was basically a take-over of the rivers by boaters and rafters, operations that made no biological sense, yet would increase another form of recreation to the detriment of the river ecology in CA. The boaters had made strong connections with CWR and utility staff that were pushing for the increased flows to generate money and to provide more water for export. Very complicated activities, and by all means, not transparent. I had to wonder if maybe we were missing something... like was Cal Trout trying to simply aquire more inflows and just signed off on what was given... or was this a new chapter in the group's operation? Looking at the Cal Trout website, the group seems to have broadened their scope and now list every environmental issue as well as those affecting trout. Reminds me of the Bluewater Network... They're on California Street, San Francisco-- Cal Trout's on Market Street, San Francisco. Cal Trout also supported getting all two-strokes off our waters as well as major restrictions on steelhead fishing over 10-years ago-- we would have had a few weeks a year to fish for them on the Feather and Sac. There was no comment from them on either of those issues when they were contacted then either.
    When all else fails, put down the pole and swim with the dog.

Default Cal Trout....

After doing some more checking on the Cal Trout website, I see that they're a member of the California Hydropower Reform Coalition (CHRC). Among others, this coalition includes CSPA. The CHRC appears to be the method employed by conservation organizations to participate in the relicensing of dams in California. Since there're 1,200 dams over 25' in height within this state, that's quite a workload for one organization. The CHRC provides numbers and spreads the resource for participating in relicensing activities.... So, maybe that's the answer for Ed....

At any rate, priorities described/established for projects by Cal Trout may conflict with our individual ideas but they are necessary in this day of limited resources. Organizations can't simply jump on a horse and ride off in all directions at one time....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown