Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Redington Predator

The only difference between the two lines is really the box they come in. They both have the same taper design and made by the same company(Rio). The reason the the OBS may cast further is the heavier weight but thats going to depend on whos holding the rod, but for the same reason should have just as much accuracy since it will load the road up sooner. Distance really shouldnt be much of a factor as most LMB fishing is short casts tight to cover, in top water striper fishing you have the ability to cast longer distances because of the lack of structure with the potential of multiple blow ups on each retreive.

I've been fishing a 8wt Predator, off and on, since they first came out. I consider it a fast action rod, with guts down low. I started off with a 8wt bass taper line, but it didn't seem to load the rod well. I recently cast both the Sage LMB, and Rio OB Short 8wt on it. I like both, but for throwing hairbugs to bass, I like the Sage LMB line. I've never tried to get max distance with the Predator and LMB line, but I have made some relatively long casts with it. The Rio OB Short(8 & 9wt)casts long on every rod I've tried it on. No exception with the Predator. If you want a confidence builder line, buy a OBS.

briansII

Looks like everyone's fishing the 8 wt. Predator versus the 6 wt. one . . . . Are your average bass sporty with the 8 wt. Predator? Does anyone fish the 6 wt. Predator?

I normally use a 9' 7 wt. rod and have found that an assertive 9' 8 wt. rod takes all the fight out of anything but an unusually large bass. . . sure would make the decision easier if they made a 7 wt. Predator.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker View Post
    Looks like everyone's fishing the 8 wt. Predator versus the 6 wt. one . . . . Are your average bass sporty with the 8 wt. Predator? Does anyone fish the 6 wt. Predator?

I normally use a 9' 7 wt. rod and have found that an assertive 9' 8 wt. rod takes all the fight out of anything but an unusually large bass. . . sure would make the decision easier if they made a 7 wt. Predator.
    Lookin' for 2-10 lb'ers... I'd rather have the 8 wt. Not confident enough to land 'em on a 6 wt.

I've gotten a couple of 3-4 lb'ers in recent weeks, and they gave a pretty good fight, even on the 8 wt....
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

Depends on the fish Mike. I once had a real worry about breaking off a fish on 0x tippet, using an 8wt. I pulled hard, it pulled back even harder. I was using the butt of the rod when I finally got his head out.

Toughest little 12inch Smallmouth ever.

I thought David was going to hurt himself laughing so hard.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post
    Depends on the fish Mike. I once had a real worry about breaking off a fish on 0x tippet, using an 8wt. I pulled hard, it pulled back even harder. I was using the butt of the rod when I finally got his head out.

Toughest little 12inch Smallmouth ever.

I thought David was going to hurt himself laughing so hard.

Ed
    I remember it well - the Smallie was 10 inches , not 12 .

I thought he was going to pull you out of your sandals ....... hysterical .

D.~

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Gonzales View Post
    The only difference between the two lines is really the box they come in. They both have the same taper design and made by the same company(Rio). The reason the the OBS may cast further is the heavier weight but thats going to depend on whos holding the rod, but for the same reason should have just as much accuracy since it will load the road up sooner. Distance really shouldnt be much of a factor as most LMB fishing is short casts tight to cover, in top water striper fishing you have the ability to cast longer distances because of the lack of structure with the potential of multiple blow ups on each retreive.
    Actually, not entirely true. The Sage LMB only has a 30' head and 50' of running line (330 gr). The OBSF has a 33' head and 67' of running line (315 gr for 8 wt, 425 gr for 10 wt - 100' total). This will affect how it casts, even on the same rod, let alone on two different lengths (7'11" vs. 9').

Although, I will agree it CAN depend on who is holding the rod... Paul can cast both lines farther than I can. However, even on the same rod, I can shoot the OBSF a whole lot farther than the SLMB.

Distance can be a factor if you're in a boat and not driving, having no control of how far you are from the bank. I often need to cast much farther with the SLMB line than normal.
    Last edited by Mrs.Finsallaround; 05-07-2010 at 08:54 AM.
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

I don't have a dog in this fight but this is too funny to not be quoted

I remember it well - the Smallie was 10 inches , not 12 .

I thought he was going to pull you out of your sandals ....... hysterical .

D.~

That was a couple of years ago, and as you all know, fish stories get bigger with age. Two more years and it'll be up to 14 inches.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Question OBS vs LMB Lines

Just an observation from my first experience with both lines. I've cast both during my latest Black Bass trip and found that the OBSF line was too much line for fishing close to cover and was unable to cast sidearm with accuracy. Also, it tended to make the fly splash down hard when close in. My fishing partner switched from the OBSF to the LMB line and increased the number of takes with it. IMHO, the OBS lines are perfect for Stripers.

I switched from a regular WF line that was being buffeted by the winds and collapsing on almost every cast (an older Sage line) too the LMB. Was able to use the sidearm cast in tight easily. Even overhead in the winds without a problem. KD swears by this line. I'm gonna pick one up as soon as I can.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown