Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Redington Predator

Default OBS and SLMB lines

Charlie i must correct your statement(if i interpreted it correctly)that "the box they come in is the only difference". That is simply not true and i wouldn't want to mislead anyone. They are 2 completely different lines.

When it comes to Topwater, I do not use the OBS line for MOST of my LmBass fishing. I find it useful in some applications(easy made long casts over large flooded weed flats in low light). However, a solid caster will be able to stretch a Sage LmBass line to the end without much difficulty so that line is still very applicable. This is one of the great attributed to the Sage LmBass line in my view. It will cover varying distances from VERY close in to extended distances all the way to the end(80'). This is common when LmBass fishing the Delta, varying distances, with most presentations in the 20-50ft range. The Sage LmBass lines do this wonderfully.

IMO, the OBS lines would NOT be my first choice for target shooting for LmBass. They are outstanding for throwing long with big bugs for topwater stripers, etc. where blind casting is the name of the game. They are "clunky" in the regards to the fine,accurate,stealthy presentations required most of the time when target shooting Delta LmBass.
    Part of the reason i do not prefer these lines is this: Most of your casting distances come into the range where the OBS lines transition to the thin running line. This creates a "heavy","clunky" presentation. Accuracy falls off, line speed goes up, it must to carry it,(not good for throwing into cover!) which often results in a less than desirable presentation.

I think this became very obvious to both Renee and Darian this week. Renee was using an OBS at the start and most of the day. I presented them some of my gear earlier but they wouldn"t bite, but later in the day they switched over, and almost immediately both of them realized they had been working way to hard and their presentations improved.

The Delta is not forgiving when it comes to presentation. Having equipment that is well matched and providing the means to make good presentations out there is often the difference between catching fish or not.

KD,
    thanks for that informative post. One question for you- what is the head length on the LMB line and how does it compare to a standard bass taper (uplined by 2)? I can't seem to find the specs on that line.

Chris

Default SLMB vs OBS

Amen!!!! Don't leave home without one (or more....).
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I can't speak to these two lines but I do know that for Delta topwater bassing, I would hands-down prefer a line that enables you to cast accurately at 20 - 50 feet over one designed for distance any day. Sometimes you'll shoot for distance when fishing the deep-water edge of a weed bed, for example, but much more often you'll be aiming at small target areas adjacent to cover where accuracy is the name of the game.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default Length of Head....

Chris,.... FYI, back on page 2 of this thread, Robin posted the length of the heads and running line on each of the lines discussed....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian,

thanks for pointing that out. I guess I missed it somehow...