Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Redington Predator

Default Redington Predator

Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to the bass game and was wondering if there are any opinions on the Redington Predator series. I'm thinking about picking up a 6 and an 8 to use in some of the rivers, lakes and ponds near me. I like Redington rods but haven't been able to get my hands on these yet.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

thanks,
    Chris

Got one at Kiene's expo LAST year. LOVE it! Going to use it in the Bass N Fly in a few weeks. I use the 8 wt, as we primarily fish for LMB in the delta.

I've used the Sage Largemouth too, and IMHO, the predator works just as well for me.

There's a 3rd company out there that makes a green one too, but I can't remember the name of it off hand. It wasn't bad either...
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

Thank you Robin,

I've also been very impressed with Redington rods. I use as 10' 8 wt CPS and a 7 wt CPX switch rod. I've only used Redington rods for steelhead so far. For the price, Redington does a very good job, which is why I'm interested in this series for bass.

BTW, what line are you using with the 8 wt for topwater? Does it work well with sinking lines too?

Any line suggestions for the 6 or the 8 would be appreciated.

thanks again
    Last edited by cmgfly; 05-05-2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: line question

For top water bass you wont beat the Rio Out Bound Short, its already over lined by two, so for the average rod/fly just go with whats on the box. If your throwing real big stuff or a fast rod then maybe go up by one.

Robin the rod your thinking of is the Ross Worldwide Fly Stick and is available up to a 10wt, great rods for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Gonzales View Post
    For top water bass you wont beat the Rio Out Bound Short, its already over lined by two, so for the average rod/fly just go with whats on the box. If your throwing real big stuff or a fast rod then maybe go up by one.

Robin the rod your thinking of is the Ross Worldwide Fly Stick and is available up to a 10wt, great rods for the money.
    I KNEW it started with an 'R'! Thanks Charlie...

Um, I use the 10 wt Rio Outbound Short for stripes on my 8 wt TFO CFR. I can cast this for distance much better (75-90').

On the predator, I'm using the Sage Largemouth line (330 gr)... I'm usually utilizing an underhand cast for LMB (25-40'). I can't cast this line for distance to save my a$$.
    - Robin

We have all the Redington 'Predators' in stock.

Very good looking rods too.

We have all the short bass rods instock for spring.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hey Robin, I picked up an 8wt Predator at the Expo and use it to throw the Sage LMB line. I'm lovin that set up. Very easy on the arm and that line is a dream to tight cast into holes in the trees and tules.
    As distance goes you are right, but in my bass ponds you very rarely have a need to go for 70 ft casts. If I'm farther than 50 feet I can always just kick a little closer.

Chris, you can consider this a positive review. These are very good rods, much better than they had just a few years ago.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

thanks all, sounds like a winner.
    so, it sounds like the Rio Outbound Short will give a little better distance, but the LMB line is good in close for accuracy (fishing tight to cover) - is that about right?

thanks for all the help

Chris

Hi Chris, I can't speak to the Predator but, like you, I like Redington rods too . . . in fact, I like 'em a lot. My 9' 7wt. RS3 has been my go-to bass rod for a few years now, and I also have an 8 wt. RS3 that I like a lot. I think Redington's quality-for-the-dollars ratio is as good or better than any others out there.

I've been skeptical about these shorter bass rods but I'm starting to warm up to the idea and have been thinking about the Predator myself. If you get one, please let us know what you think of it. Or even better, include your comments in a report with pictures of some nice bass.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Quote Originally Posted by cmgfly View Post
    thanks all, sounds like a winner.
    so, it sounds like the Rio Outbound Short will give a little better distance, but the LMB line is good in close for accuracy (fishing tight to cover) - is that about right?

thanks for all the help

Chris
    Yes, awesome for in close accuracy... I actually do most of my casting "backwards", in that my release is behind me, as Hubby and I are both right-handed, fishing the same bank from the boat. I can get my target most of the time.
    - Robin