Thread: Wright & McGill

Default Wright & McGill

Does anyone have any experience with these rods? I have an opportunity to pick up a brand new 8wt for really cheap. Your opinions?

Have seen favorable comments about them on the 'net, and it is hard to buy a bad rod these days BUT for the money, there are any number of other vendors that also sell rods in that price range. Kiene's, as do many shops these days, has quite a few moderately priced rods on the rack that you see if you like by casting them, as opposed to buying an untested rod. Personally, I'd look at Temple Fork Outfitters or Reddington, both of which Bill carries. YMMV.
    -JD

Well, under normal conditions, I would go for one of the more renowned affordable rods, but my friend can get them at cost, and wants one of my old bass fishing reels. I'm willing to take the risk of it not being perfect, since im not giving much for it, so as long as they arent the worlds worst rods, I guess I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

Question Fly Rod....

Jay,.... You really haven't given enough info for anyone to be able to do anything other than generalize in answering your question.... So, my impression is that Wright & McGill is equivalent to Eagle Claw or say Cortland as brands for rods go.

Of course, the type of material the rod is constructed of will make a great difference in the way it performs. Currently, of the 25 or so fly rods that I own, I have an Eagle Claw, 7 1/2 footer that casts a 5 weight line. The rod is made of glass and is so soft that it bends into the handle area. With the exception of and old Orvis Glass rod I broke, it's the best Bluegill rod I've owned.... Generally, graphite rods aren't slow action rods if that's what you're after.

Now that doesn't really answer your question about whether Wright & McGill makes a good rod. IMHO, they do if you like them and don't if you don't. However, it won't cost you an arm & a leg to find that out....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

http://wrightmcgillsuperstore.com/gr...rods-p-27.html

Looking at the 9' 8wt. And yes, I like fast rods. Just wanted everyone's take on their overall quality, not necessarily whether individual rods have the actions desired.

D, it looks like the W&M prices are a bit higher than Cortland, and way over the ole Eagle Claw, I'd assume the quality is a bit higher as well?
    Jay, it's your money and you take the chance. The web site sells it up pretty good.

Put a Sage LMB line on that puppy and see what happens.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.