Thread: June is a great month for trout streams

Default June is a great month for trout streams

On average more trout streams are fishing well in June. October is very good too.

This is when the runoff has pretty much slowed and the water temp is in the mid-50s.

Some trout streams are good in May but many are too still too cold.

Some are actually better in July because they are slow starters.

Those of you who are going to fish dozens of times up in the Sierras don't need to worry about this timing because you will go all summer.

It is for that fly fisher who is too busy to go all that much. I am hoping they will go during the time that the fishing is the best (easiest) so they will catch something and continue to fly fish.

We have people here on this BB that go fishing every week all year round and we have some who are so busy or have something going on in their life that they can't hardly go this summer.

I try to get everyone up in the mountains on the nice trout streams in June so they will have a good trip.

I also recommend you get a good guide if that is possible too.

One of my favorite recommendatiosn is to go to Dunmuir on the Upper Sacramento River in june and go out the first day with a good local veteran guide like Fred Gordon or Bill Carnazzo. This is always a sucessful trip.......

We had a cabin in Dunsmuir for 10 years and I know that is a great river, especisally in June.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I totally agree with Bill about the fishing in June. Water is warmer, and fish move around more easily, more bugs too.
    You don't need a coat either.
    The issue I have, is the fishing is pretty good now, and not very many folks are up (read no pressure). These fish just get tougher as the season goes on, and there are fewer of them. I respectfully recommend you consider our other seasonal options as well.
    Summer is very busy here, and sometimes warmer water can be tough.
    I like late season also, after kids go back to school, browns prowling.... The problem there, is the water level is low, (especially on a drought year), and then, you have spooky fish in small water. (Not that we can't handle that, it's just harder.)
    Wait till this storm passes, let it warm up a little, then maybe come up. The campground at Boca is empty (and still free), and there are fish rising there too. Yesterday there was a double hook up in a canoe near the inlet..
    The LT is a tail water, so flows are fine. Just discriminating fish.
    Unless the temps soar upwards, the T will be fine. Color is slightly off, but that is to our advantage, like a heavier leader..
    I tell clients, there are different approaches to guides. Hire one, go fish, and hope for the best that day. Or, have them call when it gets good. So... this is the courtesy call to forum members. I talk to other guides, but this report is from a guy who has labored for twenty years to figure this moody river out. I definitely wouldn't bring the kids up to fish now. But, some of the best fish I've seen in awhile, have shown up in the last couple of weeks.
    This is info for guys that seriously "need" to fish, not really for for those just starting out.. Inclement weather and flow changes are a reallity here. It's a matter of probability, low pressure+hungry fish+nice flows+a good drift= fish.
    I should say, I could fish anywhere, but (no hype) I like it here.. Just a thought.
    If you come up Bill, give me a call, I'd like to hook up.
    What ever you guys decide, enjoy!

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 04-27-2010 at 07:56 PM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF