Thread: "5 Weight Shoot Out!"

Default "5 Weight Shoot Out!"

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/Fly...rodtesting.asp

George Anderson, owner of Yellowstone Angler fly shop, has been doing this rod comparison for many years. It is very well done too.

My only problem with this is that if you took a dozen of the finest fly casters alive today and cast these rods and had them lined them up on a list, best to worst, the lists would all be different.

Casting styles or casting strokes and personally feelings on rod actions will actually determine what rod is best for each different person.

I have life long fly fishing friends/partners who all like different actions because they all have different casting characteristics.

Unless you really know what rods and actions a person likes you can't recommend a rod for them.

There are faster rods, medium rods and slower rods. Most anyone can cast a medium action rod well so that is a no brainer.

The problem arises when a person who likes or needs a slow action is given a fast action rod to cast. They won't like it........

We try to get local customers to take several potential fly rods outside the shop and cast them. This usually makes for a 'happy camper'.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill you are right on with this and truly supports my reasoning that a guy should have plenty of fly rods in many weights and lengths, especially with the selection nowdays. And let's not forget bamboo rods.
    I swear I'll be home by noon this time!!

Bill,

I agree completely. I also think that we change are own opinions over time. I was once a IMX freak and while I still appreciate them, I now fish Steffen glass rods. Additionally I think the feel of a rod is influenced by the rod that you just finished casting. A particular rod cast right after a ultra fast taper feels completely different when cast right after a full flexing slow taper.

TLs

Default rods

It has been my contention ,for quite awhile now, that without the graphite/composite
    rods there would be a lot fewer flyfishers. Not a good or bad thing; just my
    opinion.
    Larry S

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
    It has been my contention ,for quite awhile now, that without the graphite/composite
    rods there would be a lot fewer fly fishers. Not a good or bad thing; just my
    opinion.
    Larry S
    I think I know what you are talking about.

40 years ago with fiberglass fly rods there were fewer really good fly casters.

I think it was because it takes some skill to cast very far with fiberglass rod.

With slower graphite, fiberglass and bamboo fly rods there is a nice feel to the fly casting.

Many old timers overload their the new fast graphite rods so they feel more normal to them.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Ahhh a trip down memory lane $14.95 for an Eagle Claw glass rod and $3.00 for a floating level line,practicing in the side yard. Three Orvis flies for a dollar and you got a catalog and a sheepskin holder. I'm getting all misty eyed. Gaddabout Gaddis on saturdays and Lee Wulff casting instructions in Outdoor Life. Ooops I'm dating myself.
    I swear I'll be home by noon this time!!