Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: #1 rule when going to the Truckee

I've forgotten the rod once, Luckily it wasn't a long trip. Last summer on a trip to the sierras I forgot the grill off my bbq for cooking on the fire. Cooking steak on a stick actually works ok, Cooking a big ball of burger does not. Just one of those things that makes for good storys later.

couple years ago my gf and I went up to the truckee and some how I forgot my wading boots. I always keep all our gear in a big plastic tote. I had some felt wading shoes but they wouldn't fit with the neoprene feet of the waders so I went ahead and waded in my jeans.

maybe 15 years ago I headed up to the North Umpqua for a 4 day trip - stopped in Redding the day before at my friend Brett Jensen's who was joining me - we left the next morning around 3 AM. We were up around Klamath when Brett turned to me and asked if I had picked up his rods? I just turned to him with a stupid look on my face! So we stopped at the next town and he called his wife and woke her up and asked if she could run down to the Grey Hound station and put his rods on the bus! I had an extra rod for that day but we drove into Roseburg the next day and got his rods. PS - they are since divorced!!

One more #1 thing on the Truckee, check the flow report before driving.
    Helps decide what part of the river to fish. Or whether to fish at all.
    The more dams that release into a river, the more important this is. We have four.
    At times, it can range from way small, to too big to bother.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 05-12-2010 at 12:11 PM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

Quote Originally Posted by SHigSpeed View Post
    The first rule of "forgot my gear club" is you DON'T TALK about FORGOT MY GEAR CLUB!!

Anyone guess what the second rule is?

(I though I had messed up badly when I forgot my net at Pyramid, though nothing beats forgetting fins on a tubing trip - ahem...)

_SHig
    I'm surprised Mr. Lee didn't comment on this.... LOL, I remember that story!
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Finsallaround View Post
    I'm surprised Mr. Lee didn't comment on this.... LOL, I remember that story!
    Actually Robin he was talking about me and a little trip to a pond. That is the day I discovered you will not get anywhere in a tube without fins.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    Actually Robin he was talking about me and a little trip to a pond. That is the day I discovered you will not get anywhere in a tube without fins.
    Whoops... my bad. Funny story though.

I think the worst thing I've forgotten was my stripping glove for striper fishing. We have, like, FIVE of them, and all were sitting on the dryer at home. Hubby was not too happy with me (of course, it was my fault they got left, right?)

Had to improvise with bandaids I had in my purse... I guess there are advantages to being a fly-fisher AND a mom! LMAO
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

Jim, I am so obsessive about this that I create a spreadsheet for each trip, with subsections ("Camping Gear", "Fishing Gear", "Pram Gear", "Personal Gear", "Pontoon Boat Gear", etc.

I start using it a week or so before the trip. I locate everything first, and note its location, ie: "Wading boots: yellow Ortlieb bag", "First Aid Kit: Blue Duffel Bag"... except that I have a column for the item and a column for the abbreviation for the location, ie: BDB for Blue Duffel Bag.

As the day of the trip gets closer I start staging stuff in my hallway and note the change of location to "HALL" for those items. I live alone, so I can get away with this.

After I load everything into the car I go over the list again and check everything. It's all pretty OCD but I don't forget stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Finsallaround View Post
    I think the worst thing I've forgotten was my stripping glove for striper fishing. We have, like, FIVE of them, and all were sitting on the dryer at home. Hubby was not too happy with me (of course, it was my fault they got left, right?)
    Yep, especially because you NEVER WASH FISHING GEAR. Bad luck.

You should have called me I could have brought you one, and maybe helped find some fish. Been getting them in Nevada.
    If he had it his way nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching it