Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: #1 rule when going to the Truckee

Default #1 rule when going to the Truckee

When it is your first time going to the Truckee river thanks to the kindness of another "nightgoat", there is one rule to always obey.

DO NOT FORGET YOUR ROD!!!!!!

I am so use to driving that I rarely have to do any thinking, everything is always in my car. But this time Joe drove since we meet have ran into snow and my little car gets scared when it sees water. So we get up to the river and start to get ready, I head to the back of Joe's jeep and low and behold my rod is not to be seen. Apparently I left it in the trunk of my car in Sacramento. Needless to say I had a few choice words for myself. How can I go fishing without a rod or reel. Luckily Joe was nice enough to split time with his rod, and he even gave me first shot at most of the holes. We did not catch or see any fish, I possibly had a grab or two and Joe had a grab or two as well. The water started off at 42 and by the end of the day it was about 50. Flow was a little high nut the water was pretty clear. If I would have had my rod we could have worked different patterns and more than likely found what the fish wanted.

All in all a nice trip to the Truckee even without my rod. I know for sure next time Joe will ask me if I have my rod. And I can not wait to go back.

Oh yeah all most forgot, we were checked by the warden for our license and barbs, which we were both good. It was great to see a warden out on the water checking people, plus he was a very polite warden.

Maybe next time I will catch a fish, or atleast have my rod with me. I took a couple pics all will post them later.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Mike O Guest

Corollary to rule 1.

Bring extra rods for your buddy who will forget his.

(or his rod you will step on and break...don't ask)

My buddy Al has a bevy of low quality 4 and 5 wts that he has purchased for an arm and a leg near where we fish, since he has forgotten his rod more than once and I DON"T SHARE!

The first rule of "forgot my gear club" is you DON'T TALK about FORGOT MY GEAR CLUB!!

Anyone guess what the second rule is?

(I though I had messed up badly when I forgot my net at Pyramid, though nothing beats forgetting fins on a tubing trip - ahem...)

_SHig

Default Forgot My Gear Club

Nice one Scott. Been there, drove 45 minutes back home to get it.

My most memorable one was forgetting insect repellent on a backpacking trip up Bear Creek in Fresno County in early July. I amazed myself at just how quickly I was able to completely lose all dignity and start begging total strangers for a shot of their Off.

C'mon peeps, Scotty's started a great thread here, what's your most memorable "I forgot it" story?

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Mid-June is a good time to start fishing the Truckee River.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Once while fishing the upper sac I forgot my reels. I went to Ted Fay Fly Shop and explained my error. After some good natured ribbing from Joe. Bob brought out a loner reel and lent it to me for the Day. He said If I finished fishing after they closed to just leave it inside the screen door. Great people at Ted Fays Shop. I hope Joe is doing well.

I can't say forgot, but I was waiting for some fins in the mail, and decided that I could tube echo lake in 20mph winds with a single collapsable oar. (2ft) After getting about 30 ft from the ramp, I decided the best way would be to hike 1/2 mi along the jagged rocky shoreline and drift back. It's not easy paddling with an oar to keep you straight, stripping, and holding on to the rod while the winds blows you in circles. Now I know.
    Itchin' for a fishin'

Scott, I had a similiar situation last weekend. I was going snow skiing then going to fly fish the LT in the afternoon. Skied Sugar Bowl until 12:30pm then headed to the LT started to get all my gear out of the truck and realized that I had forgotten, not 1, but both pairs of wading boots that I had set aside to bring. I was not pleased with myself. Fortunately I had a pair of hiking boots with me that ran a little big, although it was still painful squeezing my feet with waders into those hiking boots. I am happy to report that I did not slip and fall in the river and I even managed to land a nice 15 inch bow. Although I did have some sore feet by the time I finished.

It's all about the check list. Make one, and use it. I see this a bunch, and so carry extra gear. If I'm switching vehicles, I do this too. The multi-sport players are at even greater risk.
    The key is to pack the night (or two) before. Put it all in a plastic fold top box. If my friends don't do this they leave stuff in my truck. There are few things worse than forgetting gear. Maybe forgetting a lic., and not remembering till the warden asks.

Jim
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF