Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Current Lake Davis Conditions

Oops, Slight typo. 11 horsepower - The machine is not happy unless the entire chute is full and just barking snow 24/7. It throws the snow 50-70 feet. Where you camping at? Might have to stop by and introduce myself and talk about this jem of a lake. Bring lots of wood and burn it up!

Jon.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

A friend and I will have a couple tents set up at the Grizzly Store's campground. I got an RV site with electricity so I can recharge my trolling motor battery. So look for a green Spring Creek Pram on top of a red Honda Civic and a blue Scadden Outlaw Escape and a couple of disreputable looking characters.
    Last edited by michaeln; 04-28-2010 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FRSam View Post
    Hey Jon I see you're on line...I thought you'd be out plowing...can you believe this weather!!! We've got about 10 to 12 inches down here at 4300'

Pete
    I love it! Too bad you're downstream of the lake! <grin>

Sorry to be happy at your expense but I want to see lots and lots of water in them thar hills! I'm tired of all this drought non sense which we all know is propaganda by the Guvinator and his water grabber backers...

Just for the aesthetics, I want to see that lake full to the brim once again.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    I love it! Too bad you're downstream of the lake! <grin>

Sorry to be happy at your expense but I want to see lots and lots of water in them thar hills! I'm tired of all this drought non sense which we all know is propaganda by the Guvinator and his water grabber backers...

Just for the aesthetics, I want to see that lake full to the brim once again.
    Water is water and I don't care what form it takes it's still water. If I have to shovel / plow snow through May I'll be one very happy camper. And I couldn't agree more nothing would make me happier than to see that lake filled to the brim!!!

Quote Originally Posted by michaeln View Post
    A friend and I will have a couple tents set up at the Grizzly Store's campground. I got an RV site with electricity so I can recharge my trolling motor battery. So look for a green Spring Creek Pram on top of a red Honda Civic and a blue Scadden Outlaw Escape and a couple of disreputable looking characters.
    I think you'll be fine over there at the grizzly store campground. We've got sunshine right now and the seven day forecast is clear of any snow / rain. How do you like your Spring Creek pram? I've got the 10' Hopper set up with a trolling motor and it's been great. But I've got to admit there were days on the bigger waters I was happy to get in without having to swim for it...

Quote Originally Posted by Troutstalker55B View Post
    Pete, 7 inches and really coming down! I took the Plow and chains off the quad last week and there is no way in hell I'm plowing again this year, 7 months is long enough! If anything I'll fire up the Honda 1130HP snow blower.

Jon.
    Jon I feel your pain...I just put my snow blower away in the shed and pulled out the tractor mower to start working on the lawn.

Pete
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by FRSam View Post
    How do you like your Spring Creek pram? I've got the 10' Hopper set up with a trolling motor and it's been great.
    Mine is the 8 foot Hopper II. It's loaded with trolling motor, composite oars, anchor & pocket pullers front & rear, fishfinder, etc.. really nice pram. I like it a lot. Wish I could keep it. Unfortunately, where I live in SF I have to store it inside my flat in the hallway. I could live with that, but what I can't live with is humping it up and down the stairs by myself. I have even rigged up a block & tackle arrangement with 100' of line and a big carpet remnant to slide it on the stairs on, but it's really too much of a PITA.

So, I am selling it. It's been on consignment at Vaughn's in Burney for several months, but have had no luck selling it (it's not on display or anything, so someone would have to know it's there to even express interest in it). My plan is to drive from SF to Burney real early Wednesday, pick the pram and stuff up from Steve right after he opens, then boogie on down to Lake Davis. Gonna be a lot of driving, but I have to get the pram back to SF if I am to have any hope of selling it (and I have to, because I have been laid off).

I have replaced it with a 10 1/2 foot NFO Outlaw Rampage which is gonna be an oars & fins boat for me. But it only weighs about 40lbs and fits into a rolling duffel that goes in my Honda Civic's trunk with lots of room to spare.

I'd rather keep the pram, but my storage situation means I have to sell it. I will use it this one last time next week at Davis, then I start a campaign to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeln View Post
    Mine is the 8 foot Hopper II. It's loaded with trolling motor, composite oars, anchor & pocket pullers front & rear, fishfinder, etc.. really nice pram. I like it a lot. Wish I could keep it. Unfortunately, where I live in SF I have to store it inside my flat in the hallway. I could live with that, but what I can't live with is humping it up and down the stairs by myself. I have even rigged up a block & tackle arrangement with 100' of line and a big carpet remnant to slide it on the stairs on, but it's really too much of a PITA.

So, I am selling it. It's been on consignment at Vaughn's in Burney for several months, but have had no luck selling it (it's not on display or anything, so someone would have to know it's there to even express interest in it). My plan is to drive from SF to Burney real early Wednesday, pick the pram and stuff up from Steve right after he opens, then boogie on down to Lake Davis. Gonna be a lot of driving, but I have to get the pram back to SF if I am to have any hope of selling it (and I have to, because I have been laid off).

I have replaced it with a 10 1/2 foot NFO Outlaw Rampage which is gonna be an oars & fins boat for me. But it only weighs about 40lbs and fits into a rolling duffel that goes in my Honda Civic's trunk with lots of room to spare.

I'd rather keep the pram, but my storage situation means I have to sell it. I will use it this one last time next week at Davis, then I start a campaign to sell it.
    I'm sorry now I remember you posting about your situation with the pram. That's tough but I understand completely. I can't image hauling it up and down those stairs even with the pulley system. By the time you're ready to leave you're completely worn out. I would think the resale should be pretty good but then again with the economy I guess a lot of people are still trying to cut back - I know I am.

I hope you hit it just right - it sure sounds like you might. If you should hook up with Jon he knows that lake like the back of his hand - I'm sure he'll have some good information for you.

Pete
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Thanks for the great pics, Pete. Looks great. Won't be long before I'm up there. Hope to see you on the water.

Betty

Quote Originally Posted by betty View Post
    Thanks for the great pics, Pete. Looks great. Won't be long before I'm up there. Hope to see you on the water.

Betty
    Hi Betty....nice hearing from you. Well buckle up it looks like we're headed for a very good year up here. I understand Crowley is ice free at the moment and some decent fish are being taken on what else but midges...

Look forward to seeing you on the lake,

Pete
    John Gierach

The ramp at Honker is in which makes the whole lake accessible to boaters.The season is starting out in a great way!Come on up and enjoy the world class fishery that is Lake Davis!!

Jay
    [url]www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]www.jayclarkflyfishing.com[/url]
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

"Offering guided fly fishing trips for trout in the Northern Sierra and beyond"

I'll be there Wednesday.