Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Current Lake Davis Conditions

Say michaeln while you're fixing things in Photo Shop could you please seal up the dam so we don't lose any more water out of the lake.

"Was the guy at honker (in your pic) fishing?If he was he is fishing closed waters and should be turned into DFG.Tired of the f#@*ing poachers!"

Yeah Jay he was "trying" to fly-fish - I should have said something, usually I do but this time I let it go. I'll stop twice at the next stop sign....

"Nice pics of that awesome lake!By the way I wouldn't attempt to launch at Mallard at these water levels.It is difficult to launch my small boat there at these levels let alone a boat of any real size."

I definitely wouldn't try to launch any boat of size there, certainly not my Whaler, but I'd be okay with my 10' pram off the trailer - but as we've pointed out why bother - the fish are in the shallows.

I'll keep an eye out for you Jay - I think we're all going to have a stellar year here at Davis.

Pete
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by michaeln View Post
    Sorry, I don't understand. Looks to me like he is just fishing from shore on Lake Davis, how is that "closed waters"?
    There are two areas on the lake that are closed to fishing,one is Honker cove to the buoys and the other is marked by the buoys in front of the dam.Hope that clears up any confusion.

This will be a stellar year at Davis!

Jay
    [url]www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]www.jayclarkflyfishing.com[/url]
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

"Offering guided fly fishing trips for trout in the Northern Sierra and beyond"

Quote Originally Posted by Littletruckee View Post
    There are two areas on the lake that are closed to fishing,one is Honker cove to the buoys and the other is marked by the buoys in front of the dam.Hope that clears up any confusion.
    It sure does, thanks. When I was there on my first ever trip to Davis last week I didn't get out to Honker cove so didn't see the bouys or any signs.

Thanks!

Just a quick update, I fished the lake today for the first time, C&R 2 fish on an Int' line with a glimmer root beer wiggle tail. Big wind late in the day. Honker is plowed as of today to the bottom bathrooms, It could be 10 days before the ramp is open. Fish are podding up in coves that have feeder creeks pumping water into them.

for a more detailed report and pics, please go to my blog link below and give it a click.

Michaeln,
    Honker cove is closed to fishing from the mouth of the creek to the bouys. There is a sign down on the top platform of the boat ramp.

Jon.
    Last edited by Troutstalker55B; 04-26-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: more content
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Good stuff Jon...glad to hear you got out to wet a line and into some fish. I put off my trip due to the weather. So I'm just sitting in the cabin here throwing one log after another into the fire. Looks like we're going to get some more snow...at this rate we may just go from winter right into summer.

But things are greening up and the wild flowers, as you pointed out, are beginning to show. I can hardly wait for those t-shirt days out on the lake looking for those surface wakes headed straight for those helpless damsels and my FLY. I can almost hear Madi barking "Trout On" in the background.

Meanwhile I'll throw another log on the fire and tie some more flies...

Pete

Jay I didn't mean to flippant with my remark about the guy fishing Honker - I just wasn't in the mood to get into a squabble, I've had my share of those, with some nitwit who didn't know what the hell he was doing.
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Pete
    I took no offense to your remark.

Jay
    [url]www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]www.jayclarkflyfishing.com[/url]
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

"Offering guided fly fishing trips for trout in the Northern Sierra and beyond"

Hey Jon I see you're on line...I thought you'd be out plowing...can you believe this weather!!! We've got about 10 to 12 inches down here at 4300'

Pete
    Last edited by FRSam; 04-28-2010 at 12:44 PM.
    John Gierach

Wow... very pretty and mild day here in SF. At least this weather is headed for you guys!

Pete, 7 inches and really coming down! I took the Plow and chains off the quad last week and there is no way in hell I'm plowing again this year, 7 months is long enough! If anything I'll fire up the Honda 1130HP snow blower.

Jon.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutstalker55B View Post
    If anything I'll fire up the Honda 1130HP snow blower.
    1130 HP? You should be able to blow the snow all the way to L.A. with that puppy!

I've been going through my camping gear today in prep for next Wed/Thu/Fri's trip. I hope I don't have to camp in the snow!