Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Current Lake Davis Conditions

Default Current Lake Davis Conditions

Well I just got back from Lake Davis and it's looking GREAT - finally. What a difference a week makes. I was out last Saturday and except for a ribbon of water around the east side it was frozen all the way across. Not anymore....

The West Side Road is still not open...

This was taken last week 4-17-2010

One week later 4-25-2010

This is the entrance to Honker...

And this is some guy who thought he'd give Honker a try...at least he wasn't pulling a boat...

Snow Creek had quite a few fish in it which is good news until the poachers show up...

And this is a picture of the Honker Boat Ramp...

The south end still has a bit of ice but it's on its way out...

And as LT pointed out the middle and north end is completely free of ice...

The Mallard Ramp is open - notice the water level - we still could use more water...

People were out but not in big numbers. The usual spots Grasshopper, Mallard, Coots and coves north. I didn't wet a line - I was just there to check things out and run the dog. I did see one guy out in a tube at Mallard and there were no boats in the water but you could easily get a pram in at Mallard if you so desired.

Again as LT mentioned the fish were in the shallow water so a pram / tube isn't really necessary. This should be a very good year!!!

Pete
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Terrific photos and comments Pete! Thank you for taking the time to tease us with the infomation.
    Mike

Thanks for the report! When I was there last week on the 18th and 19th the entrances to all the campgrounds were still snowed in... did you notice if they are open (grizzly, grasshopper and lightning tree)? I am thinking about going up again in a week or so, but will be camping.

I guess I could stay at the Grizzly Store campground, it was open when I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by FRSam View Post

Pete
    Thanks for the recce! I just may have to play hooky (pun intended) again next week to get out there - maybe Friday. Only have FWD and a LOW car though, so where to go?

Might snow again mid week and screw things up again...

BTW, what's with the busted tip on the dash? Good story there?

_SHig

Hey Pete, Great report! Great photos too, I was up there early this morning and saw that car at Honker! That does not look good at all - Someone has major problems. Saw fish Jumping at grasshopper and some risers off Mallard. I did not fish as well but I will in the next few days. Just gonna have to work around this storm thats going to bring snow.

Safe travels to the bay,

Jon.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Hey Mike...yeah you're going to have to get up here - heck you're only a stone throws away. That reel of yours could probably use a good work out after playing with those sleepy cutt's over at Pyramid.

michaeln the campgrounds were still closed but it shouldn't be too much longer before they're open - a great deal probably depends on how much snow we get out of this next system.

Good eye SHig...I noticed that tip after I posted the pic and was wondering if anyone would notice it. That was a water slap after stalking and missing a nice fish over at Freedman last fall. I keep it on the dash as a reminder - it's the second tip I've gone through.

Jon sorry I missed you. I talked to some guys at Honker who said the guy in the stuck rig had driven all the way up from San Luis Obispo yesterday - why he tried to get into Honker I've got no idea. I didn't see any fish come up when I got there around noon but I did see them cruising the shore line in those areas.

Last year Honker was open and we were out on the lake with the boats by the 13th of April. Even Boat Camp Five was open over on the west side. I think we can all live with the delay particularly if it means more WATER.

Looking forward to seeing you all out there this year,

Pete
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Default No Excuse This Year...

There is no excuse for the water folks to pass water thru Davis Lake this year, period!

It appears that things are up to about 3 weeks behind typical schedule up that way and I can only hope that by Memorial Day, that lake is rising!

The fishing will be good..... So don't let the low water be discouraging.

I'm just sick and tired of all the BS and greed with regards to water, et. al.

Thanks again for the pics and narative. The views bring back memories of such good times up that way..... It's a special place.

I see what the problem is with the water level. This picture is causing all the water to drain out to the right!

I fixed it, now the water level should stabilize.

I just hope I caught it in time!

Pete-
    Was the guy at honker (in your pic) fishing?If he was he is fishing closed waters and should be turned into DFG.Tired of the f#@*ing poachers!

Nice pics of that awesome lake!By the way I wouldn't attempt to launch at Mallard at these water levels.It is difficult to launch my small boat there at these levels let alone a boat of any real size.

See you on the water reel soon Pete!

Jay
    [url]www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]www.jayclarkflyfishing.com[/url]
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

"Offering guided fly fishing trips for trout in the Northern Sierra and beyond"

Quote Originally Posted by Littletruckee View Post
    Pete-
    Was the guy at honker (in your pic) fishing?If he was he is fishing closed water
    Sorry, I don't understand. Looks to me like he is just fishing from shore on Lake Davis, how is that "closed waters"?