Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pyramid Ladder prototype...

I just returned from Pyramid yesterday and had good luck with a ladder I borrowed from a friend that looked like the one below. I wished that I had a rod holder on it, however, like SHig has done. I was switching between nymphing and stripping but had to run back to the car to do so.

It is just a Werner utility ladder with a platform you can stand on and lean against the top rail if necessary. My friend modified his with large flat plastic feet to keep it from sinking into the sand, but mine without the feet did not sink too badly, depending on the beach.

Here was one of my best fish - caught on a red nymph with a 7-wt bamboo rod.

Landed 8 fish, mostly on red nymphs. One 18-incher got away when a pelican ate it and my flies just before I could land it.
    Don C.

Wow, I had red nymphs in all shapes and sizes in front of fish and couldn't get a take. What's your secret?

Under in indi?

_SHig

I stuck with a #10 red Copper John (with bead head) and a #10 red Maholo (no bead) dropper the whole time. The Copper John was about 7-8' under the indicator at places like Pelican and Warrior but 10-11' under the indicator at Wino, where I had the most luck. On Thursday and Friday, the few fish I caught hit the Copper John. On Saturday morning, they were only hitting the Maholo. I'm sure the key was my old bamboo rod and Hardy reel; the fish must have just been curious. There was a lot of noise from the old reel when that 23-incher took off against virtually no drag (just a click check system) and my seemingly undergunned 7-wt Battenkill.
    Don C.

Yep, that's my ladder, (painted green w/PVC cross braces for legs, and pipe insulation on the lean bar). Had one a little like that, but steel frame, bad bad.
    Been thinking of adding a gimbaled beer holder. Might come in handy.
    I like a home made rod holder, unattached to my ladder, (in case I do a hasty dismount), and staked out on my left (I'm a righty).
    My personal tips:
    1. I have a designated streamer jacket, with hood, for Pyramid, the back is full of holes from hooks, but still cuts the wind.
    Don't ruin a good one! Take clothes for tropical thru arctic conditions (and in case of swim).
    2. The little magnets to hold rod against the truck are a good thing to have.
    3. Do not leave anything laying out unattended. The wind threw my 150 lb pram into the lake. Now it is pulled on shore, and tied to the truck.
    4. Lady bug beetles will make a few rise about now (Sierra windfall), luckily, I had my tying kit with me, and red foam.
    5. Take tying kit.
    6. The dragon fly nymph migration, will start soon. My favorite!
    7. Camp a few days, let the quiet seep in, and attack at dawn, instead of driving then. Go easy on caffeine before fishing, or many trips to shore will result (and less fishing) (and a citation if not using a potty).
    8. Wash the gear in fresh water afterwards.
    Enjoy a great fishery!

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 04-22-2010 at 01:55 PM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

Jim, thanks for the great info. Very interesting. Some great pointers and advice there.

needs beer holder
    hey, careful man, there's a beverage here

Quote Originally Posted by medfly View Post
    needs beer holder
    Just use one of those 2 beer holder helmets so you can keep on fishing and get sun shade at the same time. And everyone thought those were only good for football games and NASCAR races.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Default beer holder

GOT to have a beer holder. Nothing like a Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA to warm the soul when the fishing slows down.

Actually, I hear the product is called a Beer Belly. You google it.
    Mark, did you look in my cooler?
    Another thought, a Great Basin growler. Icky me. Good reason to camp as well.
    Stop to chat if you see my white truck. I don't "give" advice, (and I don't have a permit to guide there anyway) but I will share experience, and maybe a beer too.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 04-22-2010 at 02:05 PM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF