Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pyramid Ladder prototype...

Do yourself a favor and leave the ladder at home. You can catch plenty of fish without them.
    -JD

I say add a lawn chair and an umbrella to the very top. You know, the top step that says 'not a step'

Whoa there. For a moment, I thought you were building one of these:

Just foolin'. Hope you nail 'em SHig!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker View Post
    Whoa there. For a moment, I thought you were building one of these:

Just foolin'. Hope you nail 'em SHig!
    Oooh, bonefish ladder! :^)

Got a report from today - big crowds and 8 fish for 3 rods. Meh...

It can only get better, right?!?

_SHig

Shig,

You build some pretty cool lookin gear (I've seen your tube rod holders, etc.), thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by colfaxtroutman View Post
    Shig,

You build some pretty cool lookin gear (I've seen your tube rod holders, etc.), thanks for sharing.
    I second that! I always think of fishing in terms of fly fishing and fly tying . . . SHig makes you seriously consider a 3rd area -- gear building. Very cool.
    -- Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker View Post
    I second that! I always think of fishing in terms of fly fishing and fly tying . . . SHig makes you seriously consider a 3rd area -- gear building. Very cool.
    Add rod building to that as well! If I can make it, I do!

_SHig

Long ago, I was fishing Pyramid a lot, (Week long blocks of time, for months on end, for years).
    I found that being way-high on a shiny 6 ft ladder can spook them as they come in close, (which they do).
    Just about the time I could see them, they saw me.
    Got a Werner three step utility ladder, painted it green. Instantly more hook ups.
    It folds flat, is lighter and more mobile too.
    My feet are in the water (and cold), but the "steps" are bigger, and I have padded the waist high lean bar, with a stripping basket sorta like yours. Even with the your extra height, wading past every one else in the line will garner you a hairy eyeball, (The locals like a straight line.). Besides, when the waves come up (which they will) you cannot get off it without going over your waders. Let alone, rescuing the ladder.
    Along with the crates from the old days, when they were legal, there must be hundreds of ladders on the bottom of the lake. Be careful out there, recently, several guys needed to be flown out after falling from their ladders, (cold water shock/drowning). One of my my motos was born out there. "Have fun, be careful, try to do both at the same time."

Jim
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

Quote Originally Posted by SHigSpeed View Post
    Add rod building to that as well! If I can make it, I do!

_SHig
    Good point, I don't know how I forgot about rod building given the tools, supplies, blanks and components I have laying around here waiting for attention.
    -- Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bigfly View Post
    Long ago, I was fishing Pyramid a lot, (Week long blocks of time, for months on end, for years).
    I found that being way-high on a shiny 6 ft ladder can spook them as they come in close, (which they do).
    Just about the time I could see them, they saw me.
    Got a Werner three step utility ladder, painted it green. Instantly more hook ups.
    It folds flat, is lighter and more mobile too.
    My feet are in the water (and cold), but the "steps" are bigger, and I have padded the waist high lean bar, with a stripping basket sorta like yours. Even with the your extra height, wading past every one else in the line will garner you a hairy eyeball, (The locals like a straight line.). Besides, when the waves come up (which they will) you cannot get off it without going over your waders. Let alone, rescuing the ladder.
    Along with the crates from the old days, when they were legal, there must be hundreds of ladders on the bottom of the lake. Be careful out there, recently, several guys needed to be flown out after falling from their ladders, (cold water shock/drowning). One of my my motos was born out there. "Have fun, be careful, try to do both at the same time."

Jim
    For sure the fish would come cruising my way and exit stage left as soon as they were within a few feet. Spooky buggers these fish. Plop a flyline over them and they scamper.

At one point I pulled my ladder BACK because it was useless trying to effectively fish less than a rod length away anyway.

I'm going to start a new thread on my musings from yesterday as well... Seeya on the flip side...

_SHig