Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving the Beaches at Pyramid

Default Driving the Beaches at Pyramid

Do I need 4WD? Or are they packed enough to take the family truckster van?

Thanks!

_SHig

Default Sandy Stuff....

There're parts of the shoreline at Pyramid that're packed and would support a 2 wheel drive vehicle (the nets and Tamaracs, etc.) The trick in many of places is ground clearance. Some of the dirt roads are full of ruts or the tracks are so deep I suppose you could get high centered But I've seen small trailers on the beach at the nets (remember, the nets are closed to fishing until later in the year).

Having said that, there're some beaches that are close to parking places along the roads. So a 2 wheel drive car is doable. Most of the popular areas are packed. If you go over to the east, south east side of the lake (Dago Bay) to avoid the crowds, the sand is a bit less packed and it's easy to get into some trouble there.

You might consider taking a small shovel and maybe a couple of strips of outdoor carpeting along to help dig yourself out if you do get stuck....

If you pick up your fishing permit on the "res", pick up a map from the tribe, too. It's a very good map and shows the regs on the back.

Good luck....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    There're parts of the shoreline at Pyramid that're packed and would support a 2 wheel drive vehicle (the nets and Tamaracs, etc.) The trick in many of places is ground clearance. Some of the dirt roads are full of ruts or the tracks are so deep I suppose you could get high centered But I've seen small trailers on the beach at the nets (remember, the nets are closed to fishing until later in the year).

Having said that, there're some beaches that are close to parking places along the roads. So a 2 wheel drive car is doable. Most of the popular areas are packed. If you go over to the east, south east side of the lake (Dago Bay) to avoid the crowds, the sand is a bit less packed and it's easy to get into some trouble there.

You might consider taking a small shovel and maybe a couple of strips of outdoor carpeting along to help dig yourself out if you do get stuck....

If you pick up your fishing permit on the "res", pick up a map from the tribe, too. It's a very good map and shows the regs on the back.

Good luck....
    Cool, I'll stick to the crowded areas then! Be plenty of help if I do go dumb. Planning to hit it Sunday if anyone has some recon they'd care to share.

First timer so be gentle...

_SHig

Hey Shig...gotta be careful if'n you are stuck...getting anyone other than the tribe's authorized tow services will cost you plenty!
    RFT

Quote Originally Posted by Reno Flytyer View Post
    Hey Shig...gotta be careful if'n you are stuck...getting anyone other than the tribe's authorized tow services will cost you plenty!
    RFT
    What? The tribe charges a "corkage fee" for a good Samaritan to help pull you out?

Hmm...

_SHig

Big time. From the war stories I've heard, you'll want no part of that!! They still have to catch you though!
    RFT

You can have anyone pull you out, a friend or anyone at the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Reno Flytyer View Post
    RFT

NO that is not true.

Quote Originally Posted by SHigSpeed View Post
    What? The tribe charges a "corkage fee" for a good Samaritan to help pull you out?

Hmm...

_SHig

Quote Originally Posted by 1flyfisher View Post
    NO that is not true.
    Mind if I call you if I get stuck?

_SHig

Sure I just got a new 4wd. I will be getting a recovery strap and D-ring soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SHigSpeed View Post
    Mind if I call you if I get stuck?

_SHig