Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pyramid Ladder prototype...

Default Pyramid Ladder prototype...

If I end up going more, I'm sure I'll modify this or get another that's more compact to fit in a normal car...

For now, stripping basket (finger pegs for next time), rod holder, net holder, and gear bag. I added a lean pad to keep the shins happy.

Enjoy!

_SHig

Where's the grenade launcher?

Question Ladder....

Hey!!! How come there's no fish finder on it Seems to me you could apply a bit of IT knowledge here. Computers come with satellites (notebooks) that can be docked or removed for mobility. SOOoooo,.... How about mounting a pontoon or tube on top, conduct launching and recovery activities from the ladder

Seriously tho, is the foam knee pad thick enough to cause the ladder to float loose from the bottom If so, it could drift while you're not standing on it.... Just a thought....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    Hey!!! How come there's no fish finder on it Seems to me you could apply a bit of IT knowledge here. Computers come with satellites (notebooks) that can be docked or removed for mobility. SOOoooo,.... How about mounting a pontoon or tube on top, conduct launching and recovery activities from the ladder

Seriously tho, is the foam knee pad thick enough to cause the ladder to float loose from the bottom If so, it could drift while you're not standing on it.... Just a thought....
    I HAD considered putting my fishfinder on it, and I thought the buoyancy of the foam would float it, but I figured it'd be a benefit. True floating away would suck... By "law" I'm not supposed to leave the ladder unattended though, so if I play by the rules, it won't happen...

BTW, this only becomes a problem if the ladder falls over. Under normal use the waterline is WAY below the foam unless I plan to swim out to plant the ladder!

_SHig

Interesting rig. What factors did you consider with the rod and net holders being placed in the horizontal PVC? Freedom of movement? Have you considered putting the rod and net holder inline with the legs of the ladder? Perhaps, you could strap them to the front legs instead of the horizontal PVC.

I chose to mount the rod holder outboard because it's for a spare rod. With it close it'd get in the way. The net? Well the pipe was that long. ;^)

Though I can get well out of the water with this, I'm a bit concerned about calf fatigue from the narrow rung vs a painter's platform ladder.

I'll let you know after tomorrow!

_SHig

Default calf fatigue

Shig,

Nice looking ladder, but I think you are in for big time calf fatigue standing on that narrow step.

I fished Pyramid a couple of times a few years back using a painter's ladder. No calf fatigue but I had to get out of the water every hour or so to get the circulation back in my toes--lack of movement = lack of blood flow down there in the cold water.

Second point: what have you done for "feet" to keep it from sinking in the mud? I used PVC pipes a few feet long duct taped across the legs just above the narrow feet my ladder came with.

Third point: you might want to tie a small plastic bottle (like an empty water bottle) to the lower part of one leg with about four feet of line. That way, if you accidentally knock if over, you can pull it up with the line instead of having to stick your arm down in that cold water, but the bottle stays close to the ladder and doesn't get in the way.

Good luck.

Mike
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Churchill View Post
    Shig,

Nice looking ladder, but I think you are in for big time calf fatigue standing on that narrow step.

I fished Pyramid a couple of times a few years back using a painter's ladder. No calf fatigue but I had to get out of the water every hour or so to get the circulation back in my toes--lack of movement = lack of blood flow down there in the cold water.

Second point: what have you done for "feet" to keep it from sinking in the mud? I used PVC pipes a few feet long duct taped across the legs just above the narrow feet my ladder came with.

Third point: you might want to tie a small plastic bottle (like an empty water bottle) to the lower part of one leg with about four feet of line. That way, if you accidentally knock if over, you can pull it up with the line instead of having to stick your arm down in that cold water, but the bottle stays close to the ladder and doesn't get in the way.

Good luck.

Mike
    I was concerned about the feet. I'll try to make landing pads tonight!

Hopefully I won't have cold feet as I should be dry. As for floats, good call!

_SHig

Simplify your rig.No need for the lean foam as you should be standing on the ladder not leaning.Attach your spare rod to the ladder itself.Ditch the PVC as it will be a pain in the butt in the big waves and may cause you lots of problems.You are over thinking the ladder thing.KISS is the rule of thumb.
    Also, there is no need for a fish finder as they will be easy enough to see swimming around your ladder.Also a ladder that light is going to get pummeled in the big waves and WILL get knocked down(with you on it).Attach an empty plastic water bottle with 6' of small rope directly to the ladder so you can find your ladder when it gets knocked downand pull it up without getting too wet.
    Not trying to be a buzzkill,but I have years of experience fishing Pyramid and what you are planning on fishing from is overkill.

Jay
    [url]www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]www.jayclarkflyfishing.com[/url]
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

"Offering guided fly fishing trips for trout in the Northern Sierra and beyond"

My float tube rack holds more rods than that thing, make it bigger Shig. I see room for the satellite dish on the side.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>