Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Respectfully....

Quote Originally Posted by Covelo View Post
    Is there a steelhead or salmon population in California that has collapsed due to sport take? Reversing that, is there a run that has rebounded because take or fishing was stopped?

Didn't New Zeland stop all commercial and recreational fishing in ocean and inland waters for 10 years, and now their oceans have the highest fish density worldwide? May not be salmon but still shows the affect.

Buying 4 license from now on via Clarkston, WA

Quote Originally Posted by wjorg View Post
    Didn't New Zeland stop all commercial and recreational fishing in ocean and inland waters for 10 years, and now their oceans have the highest fish density worldwide? May not be salmon but still shows the affect.
    Effect=a result. Affect=to influence.

I'm not a grammarologist, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night!
    Not unless round's funny!?!

Quote Originally Posted by loganmike View Post
    Effect=a result. Affect=to influence.

I'm not a grammarologist, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night!

Its called a linguist. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by wjorg View Post
    Without a doubt commercial fisheries can and does have huge impacts on fish populations. This is why I specifically noted sport take only.

Based on my grab ratio I'm sure not hurting anything!

Every generation makes its share of mistakes that hindsight proves to be flawed, and every generation makes new discoveries that provide benefits in humanities, science, nature, etc.

In 30 years this generation will shoulder it share of blame as well.
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

Default commitment

WJORG:
    Your statement -

Maybe its time to listen to us "younger generation" instead of telling us to shut up?

Can you please site some examples of this? I've never seen this as an age issue. i'm
    71 now, and I think I'm a better fisherman now; not because of the fish I caught, but,
    because of my understanding of the issues involved. If you can figure this out at
    your age; then please, pass it it on. I reflect on a comment that one of Ryan Miller's
    kids said. "Let's get it back in the water; so it will live(sic)." Let's work together;
    not play the "blame game."
    Larry S

Default redux

Sorry about the "site" - should have been "cite."

And here's the quote from Ryan Miller's Downstream blog -
    Sometimes, the individuals who least enjoy 'living in the limelight'... are the ones who most inspire and leave the greatest, lasting impressions... Such is the case with Alison. I asked permission to take her photo at the FISH ART station and she was quite reluctant. Later in the day, I watched her fight and land a trout. The volunteers brought the netted fish to her and while we were all focused on the photo opportunity, Alison was concerned only with getting the fish back to the pond as quickly as possible... "Oh poor fish. We need to put it back NOW so it can LIVE!"
    You go - Alison!
    Larry S

not trying to keep harping on the subject, but one thing to look at is the amount of students currently enrolled in environmental type degrees.

i am going to be pursuing fisheries biology this next fall.

and i will make an impact on our wild fish stocks in some way. im dedicating my life to fixing the mistakes of the past and eliminating mistakes in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Little Striper View Post

i am going to be pursuing fisheries biology this next fall.

and i will make an impact on our wild fish stocks in some way. im dedicating my life to fixing the mistakes of the past and eliminating mistakes in the future
    An admirable "pursuit" indeed! A profession that requires sacrifice and dedication. The biologist who work with TIC aren't getting rich but definitely enjoy their work. Much success!

If some how DFG can figure out how to influence those who don't fish that we need to conserve our resources we might be able to repair the damage.